Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
is the yzf450 flywheel the same as the yfz450 .? i was looking at trailtechs flywheels but the only one they have listed for the 450 is the yzf.. http://www.trailtech.net/flywheel.htm .. also is -4oz the lightest you can get the yfz or is someone making one lighter.?

·
Registered
397 Posts
no they are not the same and no there is not anything MADE BY TRAILTECH that is lighter. but it can be custom

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok so if they arent the same , which one weighs less and by how much.? i would be amazed if the yfz is lighter than the yzf.. is the flywheel mount on the crank the same on both motors.? my wheels are turnin on how to get an ultra lite flywheel and if i can start with one that allready weighs less even better..

·
Registered
129 Posts
cray2602 said:
ok so if they arent the same , which one weighs less and by how much.? i would be amazed if the yfz is lighter than the yzf.. is the flywheel mount on the crank the same on both motors.? my wheels are turnin on how to get an ultra lite flywheel and if i can start with one that allready weighs less even better..
I have no idea which weighs less, but you cannot intechage them. On the yfz the stator is bolted to the cover. On the yz it sits inside the flywheel close to the engine. If you want to lose more weight, go to a kicker, and get rid of the one way clutch and gear off the back of the flywheel. That is good for 1-1.5 lbs.

·
Registered
349 Posts
to use the yzf flywheel and ignition, you have to use the yzf crank also.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Here is a pic of the two to show the difference.

·
Registered
43 Posts
The flywheels stuff you are looking at (trailtech) is ADDITIONAL weight. They are to add more "control" and "tractability". I don't think anyone offers a lighter flywheel.

·
Registered
129 Posts
motochris said:
The flywheels stuff you are looking at (trailtech) is ADDITIONAL weight. They are to add more "control" and "tractability". I don't think anyone offers a lighter flywheel.
Actually, trailtech offers a -4oz flywheel. I have one in my yfz.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I consider myself learned. Thank you. :oops:

·
Registered
213 Posts
Trail tech has been making a lighter flywheel for the YFZ for sometime now. The stock wieght of the YFZ flywheel is somewhere around 26oz. SO a -4 would be 22oz. A YZF flywheel weighs like 19oz stock, But you have to use the YZ crank rod and piston. I persoanlly wouldn't go that route because the wrist pin is smaller on the YZ. The smaller wrist pin on the d-bike isn't designed for a atv.

·
Registered
98 Posts
liszewski88 said:
Trail tech has been making a lighter flywheel for the YFZ for sometime now. The stock wieght of the YFZ flywheel is somewhere around 26oz. SO a -4 would be 22oz. A YZF flywheel weighs like 19oz stock, But you have to use the YZ crank rod and piston. I persoanlly wouldn't go that route because the wrist pin is smaller on the YZ. The smaller wrist pin on the d-bike isn't designed for a atv.
Thats what I thought, thanks for the info... :tup:

·
Registered
235 Posts
If you talk to trailtech,they will make you up to a -8 flywheel.They tried them and eventhough they had no problems with em,they feared it would come apart while your going being they have taken a good amount a material off,so they just list the -4oz. to be safe but they can make a -6oz and a -8oz I beleive,they just dont cover them,so if they come apart and hurt you or your motor,its not their fault.

Brett

·
Registered
125 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
i think ill either buy the lighter trailtech and lathe as much off as i safely can or just take the stock one off and lighten it as much as possible..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Trailtech did try a -8 flywheel from what i heard. It DID explode. There wasn't enough mass to hold it together. I don't know about a -6 flywheel. I thought they just tried the -8. I think a -6 would hold together. I"ll have to call them up sometime and see if they do. I was gonna get a -4 flywheel for christmas, but the -6 intrigues me.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Forgot to mention I"m a post whore.jk But instead of getting your sotck flywheel cut get the TT one because it is lighter of course but it has more powerful magnets. So it will have a more powerful spark and the lights won't dim as much during low rpm riding.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts