Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2005 DS650 and my friend has a YFZ and he says that his YFZ will walk by my DS. I was just wondering is the YFZ Faster? If so by how much?

·
Registered
645 Posts
not sure about topspeed run on an open feild but on a track he will make u cry

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well has any1 with a YFZ raced a DS stock vs. stock

·
Registered
74 Posts
yes i have on a strait away maybe football fields length on gravel road. started in 1st and killed him 3 times a bike in a halfs length from start to finish. he was so shocked and pissed off haha. ds650's have a higher top end speed although i still beat him. didnt race him on the track but i know for sure i would of smoked him. it all goes down to if you can ride good.

·
Registered
476 Posts
I have a YFZ450 and I think it would not beat a DS on top end speed, no way. The 650c would scream more than the 450cc. Just my 2 cents

·
Registered
108 Posts
I have a 2005 DS650 and my friend has a YFZ and he says that his YFZ will walk by my DS. I was just wondering is the YFZ Faster? If so by how much?
My friend has a 2002 DS 650 (stock). We drag raced approx. 750ft (2 1/2 football fields), 6 times. I beat him each time (w/ my stock YFZ) by a minimum of 4 quad lengths. He can ride pretty good & he's 50 lbs. lighter than me.

Then I added a pipe, jet kit & air filter... :hey: It's no contest now. 5-6 bike lengths now (that's after he changed his gearing. Down 1 tooth in the front & up 2 teeth in the rear. He also added a slip-on)

As far as top speed... I think the DS 650 would be a couple of MPH faster (stock for stock). We haven't checked it out, though. :shrug:

That's my experience

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
when my Raptor was just piped, YFZ's beat my ass all the time. And I've smoked every DS650 I've ever raced, stock, piped, mild motor work on DS, whatever.

·
Registered
287 Posts
i'd say a DS and raptor both could beat a YFZ stock for stock in an all out balls to the wall top speed drag race......i mean till all the machines hit the rev limiters in their top gears. :nod: :hey:

·
Registered
57 Posts
creechfan said:
i'd say a DS and raptor both could beat a YFZ stock for stock in an all out balls to the wall top speed drag race......i mean till all the machines hit the rev limiters in their top gears. :nod: :hey:
:nope:

·
Registered
51 Posts
short distance drags..................yfz ( under 400' )

wfo.......................ds650, slight advantage. ( personal experience...stock vs. stock.)

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
thecort said:
My friend has a 2002 DS 650 (stock). We drag raced approx. 750ft (2 1/2 football fields), 6 times. I beat him each time (w/ my stock YFZ) by a minimum of 4 quad lengths. He can ride pretty good & he's 50 lbs. lighter than me.

Then I added a pipe, jet kit & air filter... :hey: It's no contest now. 5-6 bike lengths now (that's after he changed his gearing. Down 1 tooth in the front & up 2 teeth in the rear. He also added a slip-on)

As far as top speed... I think the DS 650 would be a couple of MPH faster (stock for stock). We haven't checked it out, though. :shrug:

That's my experience

The Gearing your buddy put on his DS will make it slower that it was before. I calcuated it on the Bluetraxx Gear Ratio Calculator.

·
Registered
108 Posts
The Gearing your buddy put on his DS will make it slower that it was before. I calcuated it on the Bluetraxx Gear Ratio Calculator.
If you're referring to top speed you're correct. The shorter gearing will make his DS have a slower top speed. It will, however, give him quicker acceleration.

My point was, if both bikes have equal riders of equal weight, with equal talent, stock for stock a YFZ 450 will beat a DS 650 in an average drag race (300ft/ Football field). It is a quicker accelerating ATV. Now, if you're talking top speed (I don't have personal experience, this is just MY opinion), I think the DS650 would be faster.

·
Registered
49 Posts
i raced my buddys baja ds 650. top end he crawed by me.i smoke him 4 bikes till we got on the top. they have 6th gear and no rev limit in 6th.i also had my air box lid on and baffel in.

·
Registered
3,034 Posts
RPyfz450 said:
Ask this question on a DS650 forum, and see what responses you get.
Exsactly, honestly I think the ds is faster, ive seen a yfz go, and ive been riding with a ds a few times. I think the ds is just a lil faster. But im not sure. I'd like to see a vid.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts