Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 450 is only 2 months old and has only been ridden at the Glamis sand dunes. I live in Arizona with tons of rocky terrain. My other bike is a 400ex and thats bikes stock tires lasted 1 hour before my back tires sidewall was punctured by a sharp rock.

My question is how would the stock knobbies on my YFZ hold up to this type of terrain?

Should I try using them or just forget about it and get some 6 ply holeshots? I would like to get some money's worth out of the stockers without the fear of getting sidewall punctures all the time. Thanks.

·
Registered
138 Posts
lol

whats going on ken1 havent seen you in a while :scared:

for accelration alot of people like the honda radial, or the yfz radial....

i dont think i helped you put i threw in another tire for you to get answers for

·
Administrator
19,170 Posts
The stock tires are good, but won't last long in that type of terrain, just like any 2-ply tire. Sounds like you need a good 4 or 6 ply set. :tup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I'd save your money and run those tires until you have a problem with them! I mean.....they aren't bad tires, and you already have them. I ran my stock Banshee tires all over the trails here, and never had a problem with them.......at least run them till your tread starts to go to crap!! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
400grl said:
I'd save your money and run those tires until you have a problem with them! I mean.....they aren't bad tires, and you already have them. I ran my stock Banshee tires all over the trails here, and never had a problem with them.......at least run them till your tread starts to go to crap!! :)
I'm just worried since my Honda 400EX Ohtsu's sidewalls did'nt last a half a day at Sycamore. The sidewalls on the YFZ tires don't look any tougher either.

Being stranded with a sidewall puncture sucks. I'm in no hurry with Xmas around the corner spending $400 on wheels and tires so maybe i'll give'em a shot for awhile. :roll:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Holy hell! Where were you at Sycamore that sliced up your tires?? :razz: I rode my Shee there without any probs........I guess you just gotta be careful on some of those really rocky trails.........I also rolle my 400ex down the Widowmaker several times in the old days - gotta learn to ride somehow I suppose!!! LOL!!! :nod:

·
Registered
138 Posts
the xcrs sidewalls arent that much better because they failed at Land between the lakes going up a hill... i guess rock got a hold of it when i was spinning.. i guess any tire would do that...
i like the stock tires better than the xcrs... [

quote="KEN1"]
400grl said:
I'm just worried since my Honda 400EX Ohtsu's sidewalls did'nt last a half a day at Sycamore. The sidewalls on the YFZ tires don't look any tougher either.

Being stranded with a sidewall puncture sucks. I'm in no hurry with Xmas around the corner spending $400 on wheels and tires so maybe i'll give'em a shot for awhile. :roll:[/quote]

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
400grl said:
Holy hell! Where were you at Sycamore that sliced up your tires?? :razz: I rode my Shee there without any probs........I guess you just gotta be careful on some of those really rocky trails.........I also rolle my 400ex down the Widowmaker several times in the old days - gotta learn to ride somehow I suppose!!! LOL!!! :nod:
The rocky area down by sugarloaf. We basically ride like we're in a Baja race out there. Sliding into rocks is what always flattened the Ohtsu's.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts