Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
my yfz just clicks from the solonoid. Brand new battery. Quad started cranking slow until it got really slow and then now it just clicks. Leads me to believe starter. Temp light goes on everytime you press starter button. Dont know what it is.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
temp light is supposed to come on, it a test thing. start with the starter and starter gears. make sure the motor turns over by hand

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
temp light is supposed to come on, it a test thing. start with the starter and starter gears. make sure the motor turns over by hand
motor is not seized because even when it was cranking slow it eventually started when i held down the start button. Was cranking slow in the winter and then now in the summer it was fine. Just got back from a trip from new hampshire, took it off he trailer and it cranked fine let it idle then shut it off. Tried it again the next day it it cranked a little slow and thought it was the battery. i let it sit for a day and still same thing. Now its gotten to the point where it only clicks from solenoid.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
sounds like a bad starter or starter clutch but check the ground strap and the make sure the cable from the starter to the solenoid and the solenoid to the battery has good clean connections

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'll check the connections and I'll also hook up jumper cables to the positive end of the battery and then to a screw driver and then to the starter bolt and see if it turns. How hard is it to get the starter out?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I have not had mine out yet but it looks fairly easy. I would start with the reduction gears first, they come out easy and you can inspect the gears and starter shaft then pull the starter

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Looks to me like you have to take the left crankcase cover off to get it out because the carb and cam chain tensioner are in the way. Dont know if you can get it out without pulling the cover off though

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I don't know for sure. I am at work until Friday am, if you are still working on it let me know and I can check my manual when I get home

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I'm gonna try and see if the starter does anything with a screw driver first and determine if it's the starter or the starter solenoid. If the motor is seized wouldn't the starter motor at least attempt to turn it over?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
no if the motor is seized the starter will just click. you can pull the reduction gears off with out pulling the starter. that will disengage it from the motor and you can see if the starter works that way

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Shouldn't I be able to hear the starter motor anyways? Can't you test it by using jumper cables? Black on ground and positive on a screwdriver and then to the starter bolt?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
that will bypass the solenoid but if the starter is hung up or the motor is seized the starter still wont spin. if the motor is seized and the starter is good you would be able to hear the starter engage but it wont spin, the starter is stuck you might not hear anything. if you suspect the solenoid which is what you would be testing with your jumper cables you don't need to go to all of that just jump between the 2 big wires on the solenoid. it does the exact same thing just a little easier. you normally get a go no go situation it a bad solenoid not a slow crank symptom. I didn't ask but did you charge the battery with a charger to make sure it is fully charged. a weak stator will create the same situation even with a new battery. can you pull the quad and get it to start.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The battery I got is from eBay and they said it is fully charged when you get it and you just install it and go. Ill try to pop start tomorrow but I doubt the motor could have seized from just idling. I even shut the quad off 3 or 4 times and Tryed to start it again and it started right up. When it was cranking slow you could hear the starter trying to engage like it was making a rubbing type of noise like a dead battery symptom. I also shut off the quad and started it a lot in hew Hampshire. When it was idling wouldn't it be cutting out and running poorly if it was close to seizing?

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
I am leaning to a dead battery possibly caused by a weak or dead stator after reading your last post. even a supposed good to go battery should be trickle charged overnight. to me it sounds like you are not charging. test the battery with a volt meter. it should be around 12 volts. try to pop start it, if it starts test the battery again while it is running it should be over 13 volts at just above idle, if it is not your stator or rectifier is bad. if it wont pop start charge the battery overnight and try those tests again. a bike will run most of the day on a good battery after the stator/rectifier dies and it sounds to me like that might be what you have going on instead of a starter issue. sorry it took me a while to get here I assumed you had already eliminated the charging system. and yes chances of seizing an engine at idle is slim but not impossible if you got a hot bearing while riding.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I just tested the starter with a screwdriver and got absolutely nothing out of the starter. Starter contacts have some white stuff on them probably corrosion. I also tested the starter motor with a voltmeter and got 12 volts while holding down the start button and the starter didn't turn so it is the starter. Also tested the battery and got 12 volts. Also tested the solenoid and got 12 volts. So the starter brushes and probably worn down.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
I'll put a new starter in and let you know if it fixed it. Do you happen to know the torque specs for the crankcase covers?

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
The spec is 8.7 but how do you set that on a torque wrench? My craftsman starts at 20? How do you set it for 8.7?

1 - 20 of 31 Posts