Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a guy that has a turbo Katana. He also has a Hayabusa. These are drag bikes. This guy has gotten into the 7's down the 1320.

I was talking to him about turbo's and No2 and it got me to thinking.

He was telling me I could turbo anything even the YFZ450. He even said he had a small turbo that would work.

If it was really feasible and there was a kit on the market I could see myself being interested in one. I don't think I'd really be up to fabricating but its kind of a dream of mine.

Well anyway what does everyone think of a turbo YFZ450? It sounds awesome to me.

·
Registered
1,252 Posts
edgerat said:
yeah you can. there is a doot that turbo'd a raptor and doots that have turbo'd DS's. It can be done its just a matter of $$$$$
money and tuning.....well i guess thats money to

·
Registered
91 Posts
I know a guy working in a supercharge kit for the YFZ

·
Registered
490 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
CrankensteinUAE said:
Damn that must be one huge supercharger if he's working in it. Why is he working in it?

:lol:

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
turbo would be awesome but would be hard to keep the motor cool proably

·
Registered
91 Posts
but if you are going to run the EFI ket you need a diff. programming

·
Registered
91 Posts
raygun said:
CrankensteinUAE said:
Damn that must be one huge supercharger if he's working in it. Why is he working in it?

:lol:
He told me it is easier than the turbo in the tunning.

·
Registered
459 Posts
TURBO WOULD BE SWEEEEEEET!
with the high redline you could have an awesome power band
for safety measures you would probably have to drop the compression alittle bit and beef up the bottom end for that non stip unforgiving punishment that a turbo and all that horse would but on it...
EFI obviously a must
but i bet you could get over 100 horse with the right setup
gonna run at least 4000 for all the external motor setup and hardware and to do it right you would want to set up the motor and clutch internally for a turbo so you looking at a few more thousand...
it would be sick though!

NOS is way cheaper!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

·
Registered
12 Posts
the last post on this topic was august 5, Someone said that KMS was working to make EFI for yfz. Since august anyone have some news about any companies making an EFI kit for yfz?

·
Registered
22 Posts
One of my customers is building a trubo YFZ. The guy building it is a ex-Pro Drag mechanic for one of the legends in the sport. I'll let you know how well it works when he gets it together.

Here's the problem. On a 4, 6 or 8 cylinder engine, you get a smoother output of exhaust gasses due to the number of cylinders. On a single or twin, it's tought to get the turbo to spin up properly. A single sends out a lot fewer power pulses. At 5000 RPM, a 4 cylinder sends out 10,000 pulses per minute. A single at 5000 RPM produces 2,500 pulses. And the pulses are large, since a 1000 cc 4 cylinder has 250 cc per cylinder, so it produces 4 times the pulses at 1/2 the volume. The large, spaced out pulses of a single are really inefficient for spinning a turbo.

That's not to say it won't work, but it won't work near as well as it does on a multi-cylinder engine. Now, if you can engineer a way to smooth out the pulses, you might be able to make it work. So far, the only guy I know of who did had a device as big as your seat and gas tank. Tough to fit on a quad.

But I might be wrong again. I'll let you guys know how it worked.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Would I turbo a yfz 450? No I would not just my option I think if I was going to spend that kind of money I would do something like the 508 like the dogriders did, but if it is a dream and a goal you have allways had you should go for it! If you do it keep us posted (Photos!) on how it goes and good luck! :tup: "THE BEAST"

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
edgerat said:
hehe we arent talking about the same things here..... a turbo YFZ with the right mods could get damn near 100hp if you could figure it out.... the dogs 500 is only about 60hp or so......
If they cant make a 727cc Fuel injected turbo raptor hit 100 hp, how are you going to make a 100 hp yfz on just a turbo?

·
Registered
512 Posts
someone should put a turbo,nos,and a rocket engin on a quad :lol: or mabey even a v-8, they put them into bikes why not quads :lol:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts