Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello Blue Traxx people!

OK.. I have an 01 Raptor with an 05 motor and big bore kit in her.

last year.. ran hot, was not shifting rigt, had issues starting, had to jump the solenoid to get her out of the woods.

Was super frusterated and had loads to do in the house so.. come this year..

I bring her in the garage. Adjust play on rockers and holy gazunga! 1/8" plus play on both exhaust... no wonder she ran hot!

adjust, (issues starting I'll get to in a second)
and running friking awesome, so much more power and ... just WOW.

back to the electrical. Again I had to jump the solenoid.
I jumped the bike on a battery charger using the "start engine" setting via a new starter solinoid to a new starter. .. still no go.. had charge the battery and then jump the selonoid to turn her over.. now here is the weird part.. sometimes it works fine , other times I must jump it.

I have seen a few threads where jumping the bike from a car kills the solenoid.. seems silly to me. its a contactor running a DC motor if it cant handle it .. it should not be in the bike, thats besides the point.. any way. I want to install a ford type starter selonoid but before doing that I want to ensure that this is the starter and not a switch like for nutral or if I should be checking the switch in the handlebars.

after that... now I can sometimes shift her in to reverse without turning the knob. that could be a disaster while on the trails... any advice there?

·
Super Moderator
8,565 Posts
Jumping from a running car or too high of voltage kills the stator, which is what charges the battery. I would start it and make sure it is charging over 12 volts while running with the headlights on.

I would also double check the starting button and wiring between it and the solenoid.

Yes you could cause problems with your revers issue, check behind the shifter for proper play in the cable. The lever should freely move all the way back without the cable holding it. The reverse cable pulls forward disengaging the reverse lockout device.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ok.. got home.. went to the garage... just to start checking things over,
still goes in reverse without twisting the reverse lock out.
got her in nutral, got a nutral light, press the start button.. nothing.. is there a switch on the clutch too?
any way.. after repeaditly pressing the start button like a chinaman waiting for the elevator, it pulled in, the starter turned to motor over and fired right up. so I turned it off, then tried to start again, 6-8th time pressing the start button it turns over and fires right up.
did it again,same thing, sprayed brake clean in the weep hole under the switches on the handle bar, then WD.. now it works on the 6-8th time. wow that helped Huh?
.. so what I am looking for is a wiring diagram. I want to see this circiut to trace where Im loosing the circuit before tering it all apart.. its acting to me like a bad ground soewhere in an ol chevy, ... once I get that cleared up I'll move on the the reverse issue.

·
Super Moderator
8,565 Posts
I would bet it is in that button.

You can eliminate the clutch safety switch easily. You can also bypass the reverse switch that can cause problems too. Follow the 2 sets of wires out of the clutch perch and disconnect both, one is a molded plug, simply leave it unplugged. The other connector is a male/female bullet connector, plug them into each other on the quad side wires. You may have to take the hood off to get better access.

As for a wiring schematic, look at the top of the raptor forum at the Tech Thread it has a link in there for you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
SOB... found it...
it was the start button.
I do not like the design.. its got really nice silver plated contacts! but the power has to pass through the spring. the spring is kept in center by sitting around the contact on each side, the spring touches the brass baking pate and the brass backing plate was oxidized to the point of being black. .. cleaned it up with scothc brite and a stailess welding toothbrush the put the spring in place and rotated to fully clean.

wow.. the button works again!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts