Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So the other day I went to clean my K&N filter after riding, and when I opened the lid to the air filter box, I smelled very concentrated gas fumes. As I took the filter out, I noticed the filter itself was damp with gas also. At the bottom of the box, I could see dark outlines of where the gas had been, but was now evaporated. Does anyone know why there is gas in my air filter box? I haven't made any mods to the engine except for the bolt on K&N filter. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.

·
Registered
513 Posts
if you tip your bike up on the grab bar the fuel can leak out into your air filter
if you have done this that will be the reason
to stop this just turn your fuel off and drain your fuel bowls next time you tip it on the grab bar

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wish I could say that I have tipped my bike up on the grab bar, as that would make my search for an answer easier, but I never have. Thanks for the suggestion though.

Oh and I guess I should also add that my Raptor makes a backfiring sound when I pull the clutch in and coast. Pressing on the throttle, everything is fine, but as soon as I let up on the throttle and disengage the clutch, I get the popping sound. Maybe the this and the first issue I raised have something in common?

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
03 raptor said:
have you checked your float levels ?
if not i would do that
:nod: Check the floats.

Put a piece of clear hose on the bottom of the bowl, on the drain thing, and open the drain screw. now bend the tube and hold it up right so no fuel leaks out, the hose should be vertical now, but still connected to the drain. The fuel should be level with the top of the bowl, where it connects to the other half of the carb. If not, adjust the floats. There are how-to's in the Raptor category

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I checked the jet settings a while back and everything was at the stock settings. Tomorrow morning I'm going to check the float levels.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I checked the float levels this morning and everything is perfect. I also did some other minor maintenance stuff, but I have no idea why the air box smells so strongly of gas. I took it for a spin on the street and listened for the popping sound when I disengage the clutch and coast, and I didn't here it. So it runs well as of now. I'll see how it goes Thanksgiving weekend. If anyone else has any ideas of why gas is getting into the airfilter box, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts