Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well as most of you know, I am quadless at the moment and my dad said that once I get a job and are able to make payments for one, we could look into getting one. I have 3 job interviews this week (one today), so im hoping 1 out of those 3 will hire me.

Now origionally I wanted to get a 400ex or maybe a z400 but then I started to think, If I can make payments on one, then maybe I could get something more powerful :evil:

I was thinking YFZ or 450r because I could finance one for a decent price, but I wouldnt have any money to make a downpayment on one. But I could take a loan out and look for a used one for around 5g right?

So its look for something cheap like a 400ex, or go big and go for a 450. I would like to start to do some local races and shit once I get my license.

What would you do in my position? What would be the best at the end for me? Thanks alot :tup: , Joe

·
Registered
1,244 Posts
Well, from a fiscally conservative persons point of view, it is best to buy something cheaper. Look at your earning power verses dollar output also. How much will you earn a month and what will the payments be? Then add insurance, fuel and repairs into the mix...it gets expensive quick on a small budget!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
psd1 said:
Well, from a fiscally conservative persons point of view, it is best to buy something cheaper. Look at your earning power verses dollar output also. How much will you earn a month and what will the payments be? Then add insurance, fuel and repairs into the mix...it gets expensive quick on a small budget!

Good luck!
I agree with PSD1. There are a lot of hidden cost that aren't part of your monthly payment. I can also tell you from experience you do not want to be broke every week. Go cheap and keep some extra money in your wallet.

·
Premium Member
3,255 Posts
A friend of mine just got a 450R on Saturday. He got it out of the door for $7500. He is making payments and its a 5 yr loan for $150/month. Personally i do not like the 450R's. I like the looks of them especially the all black ones (05). But, i do not like the handling. Its probably because i'm use to the warrior being so heavy and longer than the 450r. He said that it is VERY high geared. He only got it out of 2nd once on my 5 acres. Good Luck on whatever you get.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Not sure, but wouldn't it be really hard to get a loan for a used quad?
I know used cars tend to be harder to apply for than new ones, and quads are harder to get than any cars (cause they're toys).
I'll bet that at your age you wouldn't be able to get a loan for any used quad, quite possibly even with a co-sign.

I'd suggest buying a used 400ex or something that you can pay off fairly quickly, then when it's paid for, sell it and put that money towards a '07 450 or whatever is cool then.

·
Registered
320 Posts
im 18 and i bought my yfz brand new for right around 7000. im down to about 3800 left to pay off. if your makin big bucks go for a 450 but if your not, save some money and get a Z. for a while i had no money at all to modify mine and it sucked.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Alright well about the loan, either way my DAD is taking out a loan and ill be making the payments for it. Same goes for financing. I know yamaha is doing 39 a month for 2years, so im not sure. I dont wanna be in debt for all my teenage years, but I also want to have fun. I also think that my dad will contribute alittle to it too, so i guess ill leave it up 2 him :tup:

·
Registered
1,596 Posts
Ride what you got pictured in your avatar. :hey: No but seriousely, if you think you can afford it, go for a 450 YFZ. They are faster than the Hondas and they look better. :tup: Best in Blue!

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
If you were to buy a brand new 450, I would get the 450r. Only because it is a little bit cheaper and you could make smaller payments, etc. then you could on the YFZ. If you were getting new, I would say the 05 black 450r, they are the nicest by far. Atleast I like the 450rs better than the YFZ.

The choice is up to you, but thats my $0.02. :tup:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
i honestly would not go the 450 way.

And here is why.
I was in the SAME situation as you. Except in the end i wasnt allowed the 450.

And now im VERY VERY glad i didnt spend the $7000 on a quad.

I chose a $3000 dirtbike. Which by the way i still owe $1225.
My jeep needs a tranny possibly, im paying insurance, cell bill, gas for the gas guzzler jeep, and working 2 jobs, which come out to about 2 days off PER MONTH.

i work pretty much 7 days per week.
But after taxes, gas, insurance, i only really get to pay off about $75-100 per week for my dirtbike...sounds kinda small.

I say get the 400ex that you can almost afford. Then if you really want a 450, save at least $1500-2000 then get a 450 and sell the 400 :nod:

·
Registered
4,974 Posts
warriorqueen said:
A friend of mine just got a 450R on Saturday. He got it out of the door for $7500. He is making payments and its a 5 yr loan for $150/month. Personally i do not like the 450R's. I like the looks of them especially the all black ones (05). But, i do not like the handling. Its probably because i'm use to the warrior being so heavy and longer than the 450r. He said that it is VERY high geared. He only got it out of 2nd once on my 5 acres. Good Luck on whatever you get.
You're telling me a 450 handles worse than a warrior?!? You gotta be kidding me. A blaster handles better than a warrior. And a warrior is in no way longer than a 450. I don't even see the comparison :lol: And if he couldn't get out of 2nd gear then something is wrong, because 5 acres is plenty of room to get out of it. Maybe somethings wrong or he just wasn't shifting it right.

I'd say go with the 450r or YFZ because its basically the same as the other. Both are awesome choices and I'm sure you'll be happy :tup:

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
New versus new...450r through Honda can be finance for 6.9% for the life of the loan on the Honda card or 6.9 for 5 years on a regualr installment loan. The YFS at 39 a month is on the Yamaha card and all you are doing is paying the finance charges for that first two years. After that, the interest rate jumps to around 18% and you still owe the amount you originally financed (trust me on all this, I work part time at a Honda shop, and we get into the financing options all the time. Honda usually does the low payment for a period of time' thing, but they're doing 6.9 right now). IF you'd have it paid off in two years, then the 39 a month ain't bad. But you'd have to pay about $300 a month, and I doubt you can do that with a part-time job.

Used versus new...you can get 400EXs dirtcheap right now. And you can get some moderatlely built ones at good prices...'cuz everybody's moving to 450s to race. Same with the Z400s (and it's twin, the KFX400)...most people are moving up to race and selling them off. PLUS...withthe new 400EX coming out with new styling and reverse and the new Z/KFX coming out as a 450, the older ones are gonna be even less valued. So you cna get in cheap. You can prolly pic upa good 400EX for around $3,000 (moderatley equipped). And that's a hell of a big difference from 7K. Of course, the interest rate on a persoanl note loan (the type your dad would take out fo the quad) will be higher than the 6.9 on the new Honda, but if he has really good credit, it may not be too bad. That's something to check into.

Personally, I'd say go for the used, ride the balls off of it for a year or two and have it paid off. Then if you've outgrown it, look for a used 450, they'll be plentiful by then.

·
Registered
3,937 Posts
do things right the first time and get the 450's..You don't want to end up getting a 400ex and then wishing you got the 450..

1 - 13 of 13 Posts