Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
509 Posts
Interesting question, and cant wait to see all the different answers.

Have to figure everything you have herd both good and bad has some merit at one time or another, but overall I think most two strokes in general are more of a reflection of their owner since the well maintained ones seem to fare much better than the neglected ones.

So it would seem your dad either knows or has heard stories about the banshees that were owned by people who didnt or did not know how to take care of their stuff.

Shoddy quad = lazy owner :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
i deffinitly aggree with what he said, that would go for any bike..

ive never had mine leak coolant, or oil. imo they are the best suited bike that i would want to ride.. there is a whole lot of power to be had with them, dollar for dollar you are going to go faster with a banshee than any other bike..

like was said, if you take care of it you wont have any problems with it..

the biggest issue a stock bike can have out of the box is first the crank (easily fixed by trueing and welding it, it will last a while but will be pretty much bullet proof if it is done) and the cast pistons (they will last a while but i had one start to fail and wouldnt trust another set of cast ones in my bike now).

Shoddy quad = lazy owner

·
Registered
16 Posts
If your looking for that trademark 2-stroke power, it doesn't get any better than a Banshee. If you were to come across a real POS banshee, sure it would probably leak coolant, but chances are good that it isn't well maintained, just like any other quad could end up doing. They've been making Shees since 1987, and they haven't changed anything other than the front suspension in 20 years. Yamaha did it right the first time.

Straight out of the showroom, a Banshee is the fastest quad you can buy. The YFZ450 is the only thing that comes close. But anyways, Banshee's probably have the widest range of aftermarket parts availiable for it, and you can easily change a lot of things about it, lookswise and performance wise. I know I'll be getting one ASAP

·
Registered
194 Posts
Banshees are like pu$$y once you ride it you won't ever forget it :hey: As far as relaibility I never had any problems with mine. Just like the other guys said maintain it right and it will show.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My firend has a stock 00 Shee it does leak coolant and it leaks fuel when the petcock is left on, not a big deal it is still a good machine. Its not like it just gushes out ive seen maybe 3 drops of coolant out of it.

·
Registered
322 Posts
ya, mine leaked a little coolant once, as far as i know. like a couple drops. not into the cylinder, out of the overflow hose, no big deal. it never leaked fuel though. banshee's are the funest and fastest bike out there, if i were you i'd get it.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys

that helped but my family has lots of machnes i live with my dad my mom my two older brothers and 2 younger sisiters and we have a yfz450,3 raptors,kodiak 450,Z400,Z250,lt80, and a blaster and every oneof them gets mainteained as well as you can. My dad gets mad if there is a scratch on the fender so we wax them polish them and everything. But is a banshee ok for like wood riding? i live in Conneticut. There is quite a bit of woods and im 13 so i dunno if a banshee's my machine. I have ridden my brothers raptors and my dads yfz450 and raptor but is a banshee too powerful?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks guys

that helped but my family has lots of machnes i live with my dad my mom my two older brothers and 2 younger sisiters and we have a yfz450,3 raptors,kodiak 450,Z400,Z250,lt80, and a blaster and every oneof them gets mainteained as well as you can. My dad gets mad if there is a scratch on the fender so we wax them polish them and everything. But is a banshee ok for like wood riding? i live in Conneticut. There is quite a bit of woods and im 13 so i dunno if a banshee's my machine. I have ridden my brothers raptors and my dads yfz450 and raptor but is a banshee too powerful?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
Wel... They arent the best for woods riding, The Banshee is no more powerfull than a raptor or 450. So you would be fine. If your going to ride woods I woudlnt reccomend the banshee. Sounds like a z400 would be good for you. I would choose it over the raptor for woods anyday.

·
Registered
322 Posts
banshee are great for woods riding, you just gotta be a good rider. people just jump on a shee off their raptors and are like this sucks, its so hard to ride. you see a expeirenced rider jump on and he's sreading up the trail, riding over logs and fallen trees, crossing rivers, turing within inches of the trees, and riding up rocks. well, this is what i do on mine. banshees are way crazier than raptors and 450's, just cause they have around the same top speed( stock that is :smooch: ) its all about how it gets there, obviously you wont hit top speed in the trails, and a banshee is no smooth ride for a beginner. You need atleast 1 day behind the pack on a banshee to learn when the power comes on, after that its second nature.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Like most two strokes, it will probally leak a little bit if you leave the petcock on. Better to just turn it off. My dirtbike, as well as several others and some blasters I've been around have done it. Turn the petcock off and problem solved. The coolant leaks beceause of the overflow tank. There is a hose from the radiator to the overflow tank, when the radiator wants some coolant it sucks it out, when it has too much it goes back in..I guess thats how it works. Sometimes the hose will crack and leak coolant. And what type of oil supposedly leaks? ALL 2 strokes will leak oil if the pipes aren't properly tightened or are old and crappy. The reason is, they let fuel by every revolution because there is no valves to secure the exhaust port. So a little bit of fuel gets blown out. The fuel has oil in it, so theres your 'leaky' oil. If your pipes are properly connected and tightened this won't happen. I am missing the connector for my KX80 that holds the silencer to the pipe. Wow... it blows '2 stroke goo' all over everything.

Like everyone has said, 2 strokes will last as long, if not longer than 4 strokes it properly maintained. My uncles blaster is still running as strong as it did new, in 1988. Never had a topend rebuild, never had the injector f*ck up, just did maitenince when needed, and it is almost mint condition.

Banshee's are good trail machines if setup for trails. You will need a little bit of a leaner mixture probally, and a tad leaner on the jets, so you don't foul the plugs if you don't keep the RPM's up. Banshee's have alot of power, but are extremely tame in stock form. Once you pipe it and p&p it will do wonders to it.

I really don't remember any recalls or anything on the shee, but maybe some others do?

·
Registered
509 Posts
Pretty good input from everyone on the basics of the two v four strokes and the fact that every model can leak fuel when its left on :) and from what I remember the Banshee doesnt have a radiator res like the newer stuff and anytime the cooling system builds more pressure than the cap was made to hold it can leak as thats what was supposed to happen.

The only thing(s) else I want to add to all this is that I agree with the recomendation of one of the 4 strokes in the family stabe (not a bad mix of machines around that yard huh :D ) as a suitable woods runner.

Like it was said above the banshee can do well in the woods but you will be able to do the same basic things with less effort or fatigue on the 4 strokes, and like history has shown us there are models with better woods racing results than the banshee.

Dont get me wrong I have rode and really enjoy the way a worked Banshee runs etc, but I mean you have a z400 and yfz450 in the garage now so why arent you riding them?

·
Registered
37 Posts
The Banshee's inline two stroke twin offers the most POTENTIAL power for the fewest dollars spent than any other atv motor available today.

No carb on any bike should leak gas if the petcock is left on, and it is usually easily fixed. Check to see which one is leaking out of it's overflow hose. That carb most likely has one of two things wrong 1) the floats are either stuck or set incorrectly, or 2) there is debris of some kind on the needle jet seat.

A stuck float can often be fixed just by tapping on the bowl with a screwdriver handle or mallet. Incorrecly set floats should be adjusted by bending the metal tab.

If that's not it, you will need to pull the bowl off the carbs and clean off the needle jet seat. Sometimes the rubber seat becomes ripped or worn, and must be replaced to fix the problem (cheap part).

·
Registered
91 Posts
440ex4me said:
Pretty good input from everyone on the basics of the two v four strokes and the fact that every model can leak fuel when its left on :) and from what I remember the Banshee doesnt have a radiator res like the newer stuff and anytime the cooling system builds more pressure than the cap was made to hold it can leak as thats what was supposed to happen.

The only thing(s) else I want to add to all this is that I agree with the recomendation of one of the 4 strokes in the family stabe (not a bad mix of machines around that yard huh :D ) as a suitable woods runner.

Like it was said above the banshee can do well in the woods but you will be able to do the same basic things with less effort or fatigue on the 4 strokes, and like history has shown us there are models with better woods racing results than the banshee.

Dont get me wrong I have rode and really enjoy the way a worked Banshee runs etc, but I mean you have a z400 and yfz450 in the garage now so why arent you riding them?

the banshee's originally come with a resivoir for the coolant.. most people 86 them so they can get rid of the air box or relocate it up front under the nose of the bike..

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
i have a banshee and dont leak anything. properly maintain your quad and ut will new let ya down. it is not a word that can explain what a banshee feels like. i say just get one lol

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: thanks guys

TeamSuzuki41 said:
You can never have too much power.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts