Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 87 warrior, and i got it a few months ago. i want to go ahead and do a tune up on it though. whats a warrior tune up consist of??? im assuming oil, oil filter, clean air filter, check spark plug, what else?
also instead of asking what oils yall use, would 20w 50 lucas oil that does have the MA label on it going to be ok for the warrior? and how much oil will it take, including a small flush (until i see clear fluid come out) and filling the filter, to fill the warrior? 3 qts enough? ive never tuned a ATV before. iv worked on trucks but never quads as this is my first :)). thanks,
mike.

·
Registered
417 Posts
the oil filter is a cleanable metal screen. I forget how much oil it takes, should be in the manual, I think 3qts will prob do you. 10w-30 without friction modifiers, ie for wet clutches. I usually use a diesel motor oil thats rated JASO MA.
You can also check your valve clearances if you're feeling frisky. I doubt it gets done on a lot of four wheelers. And seeing how you just got it it'd also be a good idea to give the whole thing a going over. Bearings, tire pressure, brakes, lube cables if needed, check the chain stretch. If there's no fuel filter cut the line and install one. If its running rough a carb cleaning might be needed also. about all I can think of atm.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
o ok cool, and i don't have a manual yet so il just keep checking til its full. and the bearings feel fine, no squeaking, when i had the wheels off to reseat them i checked them out and theres nice fresh blue grease still in them, the previous owner was a mechanic so im sure he kept up on it. and he put new brakes on it all around, the clutch and brakes and throttle cables feel pretty good. they have some mud on them so ima power wash it this week, i don't like puttin it away dirty but i have to til i can take it to work. anyways, the sparkplug aint that bad but i figure i might as well change it. whats the correct spark plug? as the only local place that sells bike parts is a harley davidson shop i don't no if motorcycle plugs are the same as quads. or if car plugs would work??

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
also, is synthetic oil ok to use?? and how often should i change it. i ride about an hour or 2 max a week in the winter so far. im sure when its warmer il ride MUCH more.

·
Registered
417 Posts
I dont think you're supposed to use synthetic, not sure though.
If you check the stickies for this forum the one with important links has a manual, the 3rd one worked last I looked

·
Registered
1 Posts
also, is synthetic oil ok to use?? and how often should i change it. i ride about an hour or 2 max a week in the winter so far. im sure when its warmer il ride MUCH more.
o ok cool, and i don't have a manual yet so il just keep checking til its full. and the bearings feel fine, no squeaking, when i had the wheels off to reseat them i checked them out and theres nice fresh blue grease still in them, the previous owner was a mechanic so im sure he kept up on it. and he put new brakes on it all around, the clutch and brakes and throttle cables feel pretty good. they have some mud on them so ima power wash it this week, i don't like puttin it away dirty but i have to til i can take it to work. anyways, the sparkplug aint that bad but i figure i might as well change it. whats the correct spark plug? as the only local place that sells bike parts is a harley davidson shop i don't no if motorcycle plugs are the same as quads. or if car plugs would work??
I use full synthetic in mine it shouldn't hurt

1 - 6 of 6 Posts