Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently bought a warrior for cheap knowing I would need to replace the cylinder head and a couple other things in the very near future. I rode it for around 15 minutes before it broke down. Just yesterday I had it all fixed up, replaced the cylinder head, cam chain, intake manifold, and a stage 2 hotcam, I rejetted the carb to account for aftermarket products because it was jetted stock. It starts up and runs good, idles good. But there is this loud clapping sound coming from the engine somewhere. It did this during the 15 minute ride before it broke down but i just figured it was because of the bad cylinder head. It won't let me post a mp4 but if anyone wants to hear it run please let me know. Anything helps just really trying to get this running well!!

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
my guess with the new parts you put in is it the crank/connecting rod. is the oil level good? is there metal in the oil? the head and valve train on those machines is pretty tough so what ever thrashing it got to destroy the head probably did not help the lower end

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The oil level is good I just changed the oil, the reason the head went out is because the valve seat was bad so the intake valve wouldn't seal. The old head valves were adjusted way wrong by the previous owner. People are telling me that I need to adjust the valves on the new head to accommodate the stage 2 hotcam because they are currently adjusted stock. Could this be it?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
i doubt it. if memory serves valve lash is valve lash and as long as you adjusted it after putting in the new cam you should be fine. it might be slightly different for the hot cam but it would make a ticking noise and likely would not idle if the valves were out of adjustment. and it made the noise with the old head and cam correct? in general ticking or that noise you think you hear or maybe not, sounds different from one side to the other, dont notice so much when riding look at valve train. omg what is that noise look at the bottom end. that being said if you did not change the rocker studs or get the correct torque on the jamb nuts things could be way loose up top but again i dont think it would run as good as you describe but it is worth a five minute look to double check your valve lash. you can get an automotive stethoscope at harbor freight for 5 bucks that has a listening probe that you place in different spots. it helps eliminate white noise and can help narrow a noise down but if it is coming from deep within the motor it may not help.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
ticking like that i would be suspicious of valve train but still could be bottom end. in the video the noise was pronounced near the valve cover but it is hard to tell. did you double check your valve lash? if not do that first. is your timing chain tensioner working correctly? those are automatic adjusters correct? make sure the spring is not stuck and it is applying correct pressure to the chain. if that is all good my next rule out would be piston slap. if the machine has enough hours to wear out a valve guide piston and rings cant be far behind. you can do a compression and a leak down test . if the compression is low or you have excessive leakage you will need to pull the head back off at least to measure/inspect the bore but you may need to pull the jug for a through inspection. if the compression and leak down test pass my next guess would be the rod bearing on the crank. use the stethoscope to help narrow things down and start at the top rechecking your head work and work your way to the bottom. i wish i could just say ya it this but that is nearly impossible without seeing the machine myself. hope this helps.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Ok thanks I appreciate it. I am going to get into it in the next few days and if i don't get it fixed I'll let you know to see if you have any other ideas

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Ok so there ended up being 2 problems, I did the valve adjustment which took away the top end noise. Turns out the crankshaft bearings are bad also, which I don't want to get into all that, partly because I just bought a 100% functioning 2007 raptor 350 the other day for a great price. My friend wants to ride with me and my other buddies tomorrow and he recently sold his quad, my question is will the engine go one more ride without the engine blowing before I sell this to someone whos willing to do the work and fix it?

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
could go for ever or die in a minute. no way i would ride it until i got the bearings fixed or sold it. at this point it is still possibly worth fixing and there for has some value. if you grenade that motor it becomes a parts bike or a labor of love with more money in it that it is worth. my advise park it until it is sold.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts