Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
i have a 1987 warrior 350 with about 7 hours on engine rebuild. (rebuild was done by previous owner)

the quad ran fine but had a ticking rocker, it was the exhaust side and the only way to get it to stop ticking was to tighten it a little over spec.

i rode for about 3 hours straight and while running wide open in 6th on a paved road it sputtered a couple times and died like the ignition was cut off.

i got it home and turns out the exhuast side rocker is almost siezed on its shaft to the point where it takes a pry bar to move it up and down. (it was holding the valve 1/4 of the way down until i pryed it up) the valve is also bent from it hitting the piston. the piston is fine.

what could have caused this? when i removed the cam from the head the head was completely filled with oil so wouldnt think it would be an oil issue- also the intake rocker and shaft are in perfect condition.
could the overtightened valve lash have caused this? stretched timing chain? timing off/timing jumped a tooth?

i purchased a good used ebay head, i am going to install a stage 2 hotcam, and a new cam chain. and make sure the valve lash is perfectly within spec. will i be a-okay then?

i just want to know what could have caused it before i put all these parts in and it happens again.

thank you very much for helping me as i am new to the forum.

· Super Moderator
8,512 Posts
I would check and make sure its getting oil to the head.

· Registered
6 Posts
Oil gets to the head from the right rear( as your are looking at the front of the bike from seat) and through a passage into the rear of the cam. The passage is VERY small, and can clog easily. sounds like yours is fine. The pins for the rockers are hard to remove, best leave that to a dealer with the right tool. Sounds like your rocker pin galled up and siezed the rocker arm.

I dont think you need a whole new head, but since you have it, keep the old one as a spare.
Check the oil passage in the used head. It is a small phillips/10mm screw in the right rear of the head. look in there with a flashlight and make sure the tiny hole isnt clogged, and maybe spray some carb cleaner in it to make sure it isnt clogged internally. Make sure the carb cleaner comes out into the rear cam bearing area.
I put a used head on my warrior, and didnt check the passage, and it was clogged. Wiped out a white bros. cam and rockers in 1 RIDE. Now I need a whole new cam set.

· Registered
1 Posts
So I'm in this same situation right now my exhaust rocker is very hard to move up and down. Gotta pry it.. So I seen you say leave it to someone with the correct tools, am I able to do this without a machine shop?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts