Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Before I begin I would like to first say hello as this is my first post I have made in this forum, and I hope to get to be part of the forum community in the future :)

As for the thread title, I have a 2001 Yamaha warrior and I am trying to bring it back to life. It's been sitting in a storage unit for 5 years so it has some time of just sitting in the summer heat and winter cold.

So far, I have replaced the ignition as I lost the key for it before I moved it to storage. Now, I put in my new ignition, and it wouldn't even turn on. Won't start, the lights won't go or anything. So I naturally assume it has to be a battery problem.

I just got done setting up, charging, and placing my new battery back in and I still can't even get the lights to go on. I have done some quick research and it could be anything from a bad fuse to a stator so my options for identifying the exact problem is quite broad as far as I know.

If anybody has had this issue I would love some insight because this warrior deserves to breathe once more. Any help with this issue is greatly appreciated. Also, once again, hello everybody and I hope to learn a lot and become a part of this community in the near and far future.

·
Registered
24 Posts
I just mentioned this in my other thread:
Replace/fix the small, easy to get to items that are cheap first!
I just spent about $350 and at least 8 hours trying to figure out why my Raptor didn't start. Still not sure exactly which part it was that was bad, but a poor connection from plug to boot sure delayed and added extra unneeded hours.

I'm assuming you are turning the key to the on position and nothing- no lights, no starter action, nothing. My first thought would be to figure out if you're getting power to your key. If not, check fuses, connections, etc. between battery and key.
If you are getting power to key, check AFTER key. Is key faulty?
If you are getting power after key, trace it's path to the handlebar switches. It's odd that both headlights and starter switch would be bad at same time since they are separate from each other inside handlebar housing.
Are you getting power to starter?

Your first action needs to be what IS getting power and what IS NOT.
That will narrow down your problem areas.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It seems as if there is no power being supplied anywhere. I hooked up the battery and tried both keys and nothing receives power. I have it in Nuetral and the nuetral light won't even come on. So no power is being directed anywhere so I'm trying to figure out where the issue is ultimately lying. Just based on that I'm guessing it is a solenoid issue, but I'm not entirely sure. It also could be related to the fuses as well. I'm not entirely sure.

·
Registered
24 Posts
The fact you are not getting neutral light, etc is (in my opinion) irrelevant (at this time) to your solenoid.
Pull the fuses to make sure they're good and that they are clean.
Then reinsert them and take a test light to the tiny little holes on top of each fuse where there is an even smaller piece of metal exposed. If it lights up on both spots on both fuses, continue on to something else. I would also check the test light for good ground by touching the positive side to the battery THEN check fuses. I don't know how many times I have tested wires only to find out that I didn't have it on a good ground correctly the first time.
Did you check if the key is getting power by pulling the wires off and checking with at least a test light? One of those wires should be hot all the time.
We'll get it figured out, just keep going through the steps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Get a volt meter and trace power from battery, to ignition,to handle bars switches and so on. Or jump start the quad set it on neutral get cables straight from the battery to the starter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Here's an update. We purchased a new solenoid and replaced the old one, and still I am getting no life from it whatsoever. I've eliminated the battery,solenoid and the key ignition as an issue. I'm going to check the fuses next and see what is dead on the atv, but I'm guessing the only things that could be potential problems now are the fuses, stator or the starter itself. I'm praying those are my only few other options, because beyond that I can't see any other problems as I am continuing to replace the old parts with new fresh ones. Anything I should be doing currently besides checking the fuses and making tracing the currents?

********* Also, I just removed my stator from the ATV just to get a quick idea of how it looks, and I noticed oil covered the entire piece. I don't know if that makes a difference being that this is my first time ever having conducted this kind of work, but I would assume oil on something electrical isn't a good thing. I could be wrong. I am going to upload some pictures of the stator so you guys can get an idea of the condition of it, and can possibly tell me which direction to go as far as the stator is concerned.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Your stator does indeed need to be in oil so don't worry about that.
The only way to test the stator (that I know of) is to do an ohm test on the wires from the stator at their quick release plug ins.
There are all kinds of instructions and "within specs" ohm readings you need to look for on the web and this forum.
It's easy to do with a voltmeter.
I do remember reading somewhere the only visual test you can do with a stator is look for dark spots showing it has grounded somehow. Don't quote me on that b/c I'm not 100% sure what it said.

Did you ever check the fuses?

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm having the same exact issues. The stator w
Is bad from what I was told and the inline fuse by the sylonoid was blown. It takes a 15A from what I read and it had a blown 35A please help me

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
warriors only have one fuse it is in a bullet connector with 2 red wires attached to the bottom of the solenoid it is a 15 amp fuse so don't go larger you will just make more problems. it is an old tube style fuse so no little holes to check but do check it with a meter a fuse can look good but still be broken. the stator has nothing to do with the bike turning over, the three white wires create 110 voltage that is fed to the rectifier and converted to 12 volts. the other wires in the stator are for the pickup/trigger coil and provide a signal to the cdi to make a spark.the cdi gets its power from the battery or the rectifier so stator issues can cause a no spark situation but not a no crank. if the fuse is good time for step 2. make sure you are in neutral and create a jumper between the posts on the solenoid and see if it turn over. be careful and make sure there are no fumes as this will create a spark when the connection is made. if it cranks the problem is in the harness. if it does not check the battery cable to the solenoid. i suspect you have a bad ground there is a large black wire that runs from the battery to the engine block check that and clean it, there is a small black wire sistered to the big black one connected to the harness with a bullet connector, you will have to pull the air box to find that wire. if still no luck time to check the harness. start with pulling all of the plastic, battery and tank. take a lot of pictures of the wire routing as it can be a little tricky to get back in without the pics but super easy otherwise. i tried it both ways lol. warriors use electrical tape to create the shield on the wire harness and it is prone to wear and causes shorts, i had bare wires on all three of mine. i know it sounds daunting but i have found the easiest way is to pull the entire harness out of the bike, work from one end to the other unrapping and rewrapping as you go. check each wire by hand looking for nicks and dead end wires. if you have any dead ends check the wiring diagram in the above sticky and replace it. take special care to note all connections and label/tag each one for easy recollection. that should keep you busy for a day or two let me know if you still have problems

·
Registered
8 Posts
OK I now have a crank no start. No spark at all and my neutral light reverse light and push button start isn't working. I jump the solenoid and get it to turn over pull start doesn't work either

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
did you do all of the above. it is very expensive to start throwing parts at an electrical issue until you have ruled out all possibilities of a short. have you tested the switches on the handle bar there is a kill switch there if it is the off position or malfunctioning it will cause a no spark and no turnover situation. there is step by step instructions in your manual for testing them. the only other quick fix I can think of is check the small red wire that runs between the fuse and the battery, the connection where the big and little wires came together on my 87 was weak and caused intermittent power loss. if that connection was broken it would cause the issue you are having. I had to build a new cable for mine.

·
Registered
1 Posts
warriors only have one fuse it is in a bullet connector with 2 red wires attached to the bottom of the solenoid it is a 15 amp fuse so don't go larger you will just make more problems. it is an old tube style fuse so no little holes to check but do check it with a meter a fuse can look good but still be broken. the stator has nothing to do with the bike turning over, the three white wires create 110 voltage that is fed to the rectifier and converted to 12 volts. the other wires in the stator are for the pickup/trigger coil and provide a signal to the cdi to make a spark.the cdi gets its power from the battery or the rectifier so stator issues can cause a no spark situation but not a no crank. if the fuse is good time for step 2. make sure you are in neutral and create a jumper between the posts on the solenoid and see if it turn over. be careful and make sure there are no fumes as this will create a spark when the connection is made. if it cranks the problem is in the harness. if it does not check the battery cable to the solenoid. i suspect you have a bad ground there is a large black wire that runs from the battery to the engine block check that and clean it, there is a small black wire sistered to the big black one connected to the harness with a bullet connector, you will have to pull the air box to find that wire. if still no luck time to check the harness. start with pulling all of the plastic, battery and tank. take a lot of pictures of the wire routing as it can be a little tricky to get back in without the pics but super easy otherwise. i tried it both ways lol. warriors use electrical tape to create the shield on the wire harness and it is prone to wear and causes shorts, i had bare wires on all three of mine. i know it sounds daunting but i have found the easiest way is to pull the entire harness out of the bike, work from one end to the other unrapping and rewrapping as you go. check each wire by hand looking for nicks and dead end wires. if you have any dead ends check the wiring diagram in the above sticky and replace it. take special care to note all connections and label/tag each one for easy recollection. that should keep you busy for a day or two let me know if you still have problems
My warrior is getting no electricity to The ignition or the neutral light and when it was running it seemed as if it was bogging when I tried to apply throttle and I smelled something during the day before it messed up

1 - 15 of 15 Posts