Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think i know how to diagnose the yamaha warrior when it is only making a clicking noise when you try to start it. First you take a multimeter on "DC" setting and put the black (ground) on the black side of the battery. Then the red (positive) on the red side of the battery and see what the reading is. I think it should read at least 12. If it does you take the red and move it down the wire leading from the red side of the battery. It goes to the solenoid/ starter relay. On the first post put the red from the multimeter and keep the black ground on the battery's black side. That should also read over 12 if not you either have a bad connection with your multimeter, or a bad connection with the wire to the battery)(usually corrosion). Then switch the red to the 2nd post of the solenoid. Push the start button with the key on and the kill switch off ( just like you were trying to normally start it) and again it should read over 12 or around 12. Im not 100% sure but i think if you dont read an aprox12 or higher you either have a bad connection like the 2 examples stated before, or a bad solenoid. lastly if everything else reads 12 or higher, you put the red multimeter wire on the starter's nut that holds the wire that leads to it, and the black multimeters wire on the battery and kit the start button like you would try to start it and if it reads 12 or higher i would be led to say that you have a good connection to everything and you starter need to be rebuilt or replaced. If anyone who knows what i am talking about here and thinks i am not right with this information please correct me so others are not miss led. Im writing this so that others can hopfeully find out what is wrong with out wasting money like i do all the time on parts that are not bad and then figure out later that you could have just taken a few minutes and checked everything. p.s. i bought a solenoid on ebay for 17 dollars and it does seem to work well so keep an eye out for good deals like that.:nod:

·
Super Moderator
8,565 Posts
Yes if you are getting full battery voltage to the lead on the starter and it is not turning it probably needs rebuilt or replaced.

LIghtly tap on the starter with a small hammer while pushing the button, if it takes of, the brushes are probably getting worn.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts