Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello. I have an 87 warrior 350. It has a wiesco 11:1 piston bored 0.5mm stage 2 hotcam 3 angle valve job and uni air box filters (6 1 in filters cut and put in the air box). Planning to buy a uni filter. I am now currently debating exhaust. I want to get the most hp I can without dumping even more money in this bike. Any exhaust recommendations considering those upgrades? Should I go slip on or head pipe as well. And my second question is if I do a carb swap what should I go with. I was thinking a mikuni VM 38. I read that it does pretty well. Thanks for any suggestions. And how much whp would I see with my upgrades plus an exhaust system. What is the difference with a new carb. Thanks for the help

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
dont know on the carb swap had factory carbs on all mine with no issues. here is my experience i had an 01 with cams and a big bore, carb work and no lid with a k&n. i had a full yoshi on it and it was an absolute pita. the head pipe never fit correctly, it would go on and act like everything was good, but i broke a header stud every weekend. i ended up grinding out some of the cooling fins and had to run the the clamp between the muffler and head pipe hand tight to fix the problem. i had a 96 with nothing but the air box and a stage 2 carb and i put a dg slip on on it. i loved it it sounded good and the seat of the pants dyno was satisfactory. the big bore was definitely better out of the hole but in the end i sent it down the road because there was not enough difference between the 2 to deal with that pipe and all of the other stuff that came with the big bore. in my opinion even with the hottest warrior you can get all you need out of a factory carb with proper jetting, you can only burn so much fuel. if you machine is so hot that you cant get a big enough jet to keep it from being lean i might consider a bigger carb but u bet you are not there yet. i know dg pipes have a bad rap for being cheap and not well engineered and probably deserving for the most part but i never felt like i gained enough to justify the 300 dollar difference. i know! that does not fit with the bigger better faster part of building a machine but there is only so much you are going to squeeze out of that old bike. if the point of the project is to have a faster more capable machine take the 700 bucks you are going to spend on the warrior add it to the 1300 bucks you get from selling it and get yourself a raptor or yfz. if the point it to make the coolest warrior you can you are only limited by your check book. long story short if rwhp and hanging with you buddies on the 450s and 700s is your goal no matter how much money you throw at that warrior you will be disappointed. but believe me i feel your dilemma i have had an 87, 96, and an 01 and drumped stupid amounts of money in them, they really get under your skin. my favorite was the 96 with the stage 2 carb and dg for what it is worth

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Ik it won't be a raptor slayer. I got the bike for free. I have like $1000 in it. Maybe 500$ More and I'm done. Ik it won't kill raptors, 450s, and banshees but it was fun building it and is unique. Ik I shouldn't care about hp but I just can't help it lol. I want a fast warrior. Not the fastest. Just a really zippy one that is beyond stock. With 200$ish for a dg pipe and about 150$ depending on the carb I should be done for good until I need a rebuild.

·
Registered
2,406 Posts
that is what i would do. the purists one here will probably have a fit and have a bunch of data to show you how you cant get another 1/4 horse out of her for only 300 or 400 hundred bucks but it takes a lot of paper horsepower to feel in the seat of your pants. i have 3 yfzs now and a raptor 660 all of them with a pile of money thrown at them mostly to look cool in the parkinglot i think and i still get a tear in my eye when i see pictures of my 96. in fact i would still have it if i had room in the trailer, mostly so i would have something ride when my fancy new stuff breaks lol. on the airbox i did not get as much flow as i wanted with the uni filters. i bought some outerwears fabric and cut out the top of the box leaving the ribs or structure, siliconed the fabric down and then made an aluminium ring and riveted it down to hold it in place. search airbox lid on ebay to see a pic of what i am talking about

1 - 5 of 5 Posts