Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my bike back from the dealer....for work on a recall. The bike had set for the summer and the battery was dead. They replaced the battery...I rode it for 5 min when I got it home last night and then put it away in the shed.

I went out this morning to ride and it was dead. I don't know too much about the bike's electrical system.....but could it be that the bike is using the battery's power to actually run the bike's systems? Wouldn't that be a voltage regulator? Again, not much of a mechanic and pretty new to learning about quads....any help would be greatly appreciated!

I'm supposed to take the girlfriend on her first ride this upcoming weekend and was really looking forward to a good time. Thanks to anyone who could lead me in the right direction.....(parts & estimted costs).

Thanks so much!

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
The above mentioned quad is a 97 Warrior.....

Sorry to have left that critcal information out!

Thanks again.

Padge

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
battery not drained....

ok the battery still has life....so I assume that the alternator is working properly and it probably isn't a voltage regulator... Could it be a short in the leads from the battery?

Anyone ever experience this? I turn the key on and absolutely nothing happens...no sound; nothing. Its like the battery isn't even hooked up.

I'll keep guessing and learning....

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Make sure everything is turned off and that your lights are plugged in and that your light switch and key are turned off.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
all is turned off....lights are plugged in correctly. Everything worked 24 hours ago. I've been researching and it sounds like the celanoid will sometimes stick and therefore cause the bike elec. start not work.

I turn the key on and hit the start button and get nothing! Could it be a loose ground somewhere? Where should I begin.....I've read everything on this board about celanoids, stators, and feel like I'm learning alot...

Just not getting any closer to riding the bike! A big thanks for any help.

Padge

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
Go through with a 10mm wrench and tighten every single bolt with a wire attached. Clean your battery connections too.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
check your main fuse,clean up your solenoid terminals,then make sure your cable that goes to your starter is tight and cleaned.then check all grounds on the motor make sure everything is tight and clean.Thats probably like 15 minutes of work right there and if none of those are it you prevented it from happening the future.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks guys!!! (i'm gettin closer)

first off thanks for all the input....sure is nice to have mechanics to help out a rookie!

Here's what I've done and the results....

First I cleaned the ground under the air box and made sure the connection was good. That didn't solve anything...

I decided that I would try to jump the celanoid by using a screwdriver across the posts.....the machine started right up but without any headlights or neutral light.

So then I took a lunch break...came back only to find that the lights worked! Strange... however the start button did absolutely nothing still!

So I decided that the celanoid must be bad. I put the bike back together...put the battery in. The lights worked, the neutral light came on...so for grins and giggles I hit the start button. The dern thing started!

What is going on? I read through the posts concerning electrical problems and it sounds like the celanoid can sometimes "stick" therefore causing it to work sometimes not work others....is this true and does it sound like this is the problem?

Addtionally, where are the other grounds? I've only found the one under the air box.....

Thanks for all the help fellas....I'm feeling like I'm starting to actually learn something.

·
Registered
5,055 Posts
On the left side of your motor, look for 1 wire on the under-side of the case then look for the other wire on above the sprocket cover. Remove them and clean them up then tighten them snug. If you solenoid is dirty or looks beat or old, i'd just spend the $35 and buy a brand new one from the dealer. Or see if they have one you can test out on your quad. I've got a basically brand new battery i'll sell ya for $25 shipped if yours turns out to be bad.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
100% sure that it is not the battery....I just purchased a new one. Charged it, put it in.....thought it may have still been the battery....

checked the battery's charge again....and it checked out 12 volts or so.

the celanoid does look pretty dirty....and banged up.

sounds more and more like it is the celanoid.

thanks.

·
Registered
2,033 Posts
you can bypass the solenoid too if it does turn out to be that just undo the two 10mm nuts and touch them together with the key on if it works its most likely your solenoid

1 - 11 of 11 Posts