Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys, I just got a new video camera for my birthday and took some riding vids.... I also have Vegas 4.0 but looks insanely hard to use. Is there any easy way to learn how to edit, ect with this program? I have already mastered Windows Media Player :)

·
Registered
158 Posts
IMO it's one of the easiest besides windows movie maker.. Just play around with it, you'll get the hang of it :nod:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I just don't get how to do all of the video effects with music ect :(

And does anyone know how to upload videos to the computer without having them choppy and look like they are missing frames? Right now I am using a USB connection...... should I use a Firewire?

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I have the top of the line Gateway computer that costs 4 G's has pentium 4, windows XP ect... and I have a Sony Handycam Mini DV model number DCR-PC109. They both have firewire connections on them, but the maximum Windows movie maker will alow me to upload it at is 30 frames per second on USB :shrug:

·
Registered
158 Posts
your specs sounds like it can handle some video, try uploading it from vegas video. go to media pool and click on the little camcorder button. play your video in the camcorder and it shoud appear inside the little screen, hit capture video button and it should work. Tell me what happens :tup:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It works but it is still a little choppy and missing some frames.... Is it supposed to look as smooth going as on the LCD screen on the camcorder, or should it be a little choppy?

·
Registered
978 Posts
When your capturing it is going to look choppy, but if you open the video file after capturing it, it should be smooth.

·
Registered
158 Posts
If you paid 4 grand for that computer then it should capture near DVD quality. Well, are you using the USB ports that came on the computer? If you are then they are problably outdated, The newer and faster ones came out not too long ago so your new computer possibly doesn't have em. Go to walmart and buy a USB 5.0 or something like that card, I bought mine a while back and I forgot what the version was, just ask for the newer card. Hope this helps. :tup:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I will try that, thanx guys! Is there any advantage to using the firewire over the USB port?

·
Registered
158 Posts
In the past firewire was faster, a whole lot faster than USB but the newer USB cards are faster than Firewire, thats why everybody says get firewire, because it WAS the fastest out then. Happy editting :) :tup:

·
Registered
307 Posts
USB 2.0 is still significantly slower then firewire on constant rate transfers like from camcorders, HDD etc ..

Read Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

Yes, USB is technically rated at 480M vs. Firewires 400M, but USB can only run at the 480M for the first few bytes transferred, then it dies, it cant handle a steady load like firewire can. Do some quick research. I hate USB, it was outdated when it was released, and its sole purpose was to create yet another cheezy interface so manufacturers could sell us more stuff that already worked fine as it was, god forbid MS ever use someone elses good technology (Apple Firewire) they insist upon making there own. Then they got so much crap about it being slow they tried to fix it with USB 2.0, but in microsofts short sightedness of the initial 1.0 spec it isnt capable of being any better than it is.

:tup:

·
Registered
158 Posts
mikegekko said:
USB 2.0 is still significantly slower then firewire on constant rate transfers like from camcorders, HDD etc ..

Read Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 33% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 70% faster than USB 2.0

Write Test:
5000 files (300 MB total) FireWire was 16% faster than USB 2.0
160 files (650MB total) FireWire was 48% faster than USB 2.0

Yes, USB is technically rated at 480M vs. Firewires 400M, but USB can only run at the 480M for the first few bytes transferred, then it dies, it cant handle a steady load like firewire can. Do some quick research. I hate USB, it was outdated when it was released, and its sole purpose was to create yet another cheezy interface so manufacturers could sell us more stuff that already worked fine as it was, god forbid MS ever use someone elses good technology (Apple Firewire) they insist upon making there own. Then they got so much crap about it being slow they tried to fix it with USB 2.0, but in microsofts short sightedness of the initial 1.0 spec it isnt capable of being any better than it is.

Thanks for the info man. You just convinced me to go buy a firewire card. :tup:

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
But you guys deffinitely think that it would be the USB that is slowing down my uploading and making the video choppy? I just need to get a firewire cable because I already have the firewire card :)

·
Registered
307 Posts
It should definetly be as smooth as on your LCD screen. I have a sony DCR-TRV18 and when I used USB (already had a cable) it was choppy and downgraded quality. The day I went to firewire I never looked back. Firewire was designed specifically for video, USB was not. No dropped frames, and perfect quality. Expect to need a lot of HDD space though. And make sure of some other things to.

- Defragment your drive if you havent in a long time. Contiguous drive space can be vital in video capturing and loss of frames.

- If it is still choppy, make sure you dont have any interrupt conflicts with your HDD controller/Firewire Card/Video Card.

Edit: Oh and if you can, get Adobe Premiere Pro its a great editing environment once you get used to it, not much it cant do.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts