Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey everyone,
ive got a car that i want to install a vertical door conversion on, but i dont want to spend the grand on the brackets that are just made out of 1/4" plate steel, a hydraulic lift arm, and painted black. ive got all the metal working equipment imaginable at my work, so tools arnt an issue. does anyone have any idea on how to make this bracket? it seems likee the door would have to come out from the car... as in slide out (the cars width wise) and then go upward. thanks for any and all info,
chris

·
Registered
60 Posts
its just a 60 degree bracket thet slides in and out of ur front quater panel. if u want it motorized use hydrolics or if u can live with doing it urself use a pneumatic cylinder

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
What car you putting them on?
Try Google

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
do you mean vertical doors like Delorians
or gullwing doors like Lambos?

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
Delorians were gullwing, lambos are scissor.

·
Registered
202 Posts
sorry boys, delorians were gullwing and lambo's are verticals, ey bud get on ebay, buy the bluprints that they have for 5 bucks and your on your way, aint hard to make

·
Registered
81 Posts
Better yet, anyone know how to make them so the doors don't sway back and forth when open?
I've seen a few cars done this way (mostly Eclipse's) and the brackets do look very simple, I've considered trying it myself, but have never been impressed with the lack of ridgidity when the door is open.
I haven't come up with a better solution myself though. After all, you're supporting a 100lb door on a single point, it's got to be wobbly.

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
i imagine the bracket isnt the wobbely part.. i bet its the actual frame part that u bolt it to, since most of the "ricer" cars we are bolting these to are basically stamped out of sheet metal and origamied together, so the actual frame is pretty thin. maybe if u reinforce it, this wouldnt happen.

EDIT: they are going on an mr2... it may not be everyones dream car, but i like it, and its a very unusual car around here....the mk1's are anyway. i have only seen 1 other in about a 50mile radius, so i want something different.. something thats going to stand out i guessthanks for the info guys. if anyone can find any more on it id greatly appreciate it...if not looks like im going to be buying the instructions.... Shat!

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
frocashmoney24 said:
sorry boys, delorians were gullwing and lambo's are verticals, ey bud get on ebay, buy the bluprints that they have for 5 bucks and your on your way, aint hard to make
Thanks for repeating what I said.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
Warrior said:
NitrousGuy said:
Delorians were gullwing, lambos are scissor.
ahhhhh.
i knew how they operated, i just was wrong on the technical name for them :oops:

thanks for the correct info :tup:

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
anyone got any ideas? a couple of u asked info, seeming like you had an idea... any help is appreciated :nod:

·
Registered
38 Posts
There was a company at waterfest 10 (englishtown VW show) who had the brackets, I dont remember the website but if you check out www.vwvortex.com and search and search for "lambo doors" or something I'm sure you can find it, had a cad drawing of the whole bracket and you could see it opening and closing. If you cant find it let me know and I"ll look again. Hope this helps.

Nick

·
Registered
1,377 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
perfect.... thank you!!!!!!!!!!!! :tup:

EDIT: it all seems pretty easy to make, except i dont udnerstand how to make that little support cup at the bottom, thats in yellow. i imagine that is to stabilize the door when coming inward, but i dont know how that could be fabbed up

1 - 20 of 22 Posts