Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, my raptor has roughly 150-200 hrs on it and im getting a lot of smoke on start up, and Im also noticing that im using quite a bit of oil.(after my 20 hrs its down to the E on dipstick). Ive decided that I want to fix this prob but also maybe do a bit more while im in there. What do I have to change to stop this leaking?(valve seals, seats etc etc). Im going to be going w a ross 11:1 piston,stock bore. Also I am thinking about a cam but I cant decide whether to go with the stage 1 or stage 2 hotcam. I do all types of riding (ice racing on an oval, trail riding, pit riding, track riding..jus about everything)..Another thing ive heard alot about is the stock rod..should this be replaced as well? Any inputs on which setup would be best for me are greatly appreciated. Thanks alot. If I do any port work to the head it wont be for a few yrs, maybe never.

·
Registered
758 Posts
It all depends on how much money you want to spend on everything....if you are going to be running a 11:1 Ross(stock bore) I wouldn't be concerned with the rod. But if you decide you want to change the rod and not have to worry about it anymore, then I would go with a 11:1 686(102mm).

The Stage 1 cam is more of a low/mid cam, and can be run with stock valve springs. But since you need to change your valves and what not, why not get the kibblewhite spring kit and get the Stage 2 hot cam.

And if you want to see a big difference, some port work wouldn't hurt.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
How much bottom end would i lose with a stage 2..can u still pull say second gear coming out of a tighter corner? jsu worried about losing too much bottom end? And how much of a power diff. between the stage 2 and stage 1? If I go to a 102mm bore(686) im gonna have to change the rod..and am I going to be losing relaibiliy going to a 102mm bore?

Thanks a lot

·
Registered
603 Posts
If you are worried about losing bottom end, stay with the Stage I, especially if you are going to a 102mm piston. I have ridden several Raptors with the Stage II, 686 and was surprised at the loss down low. As far as dependability, the 102mm has proven reliable if done correctly....

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Hey Cam....what do you mean when the 102mm is done correctly? What does this involve? a new rod??......also is it safe to run the stock valves and springs? what should i do to them, especially with the leaking now?

·
Registered
603 Posts
I meant the sleeve machined true, honed, then broken in correctly. Quite a few guys around here run with the stock rod and no problems.....While you are in there, you should give that thing a valve job since you are having issues :tup:

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry cam, all of this is new to me, what do u mean by a valve job? and what would you recommend

·
Registered
603 Posts
Sorry man! If they are leaky, you are already taking the motor apart so you could buy some new valves, they are not very expensive. Valve seals and what is typically referred to as a 3-angle valve job.....Were you planning on doing the work yourself or having it done?

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I was actually going to be doing it ymself, along with a small engine mechanic who is a friend of the family. What valves,springs,seats,seals etc etc..would you recommend using, or is there a kit i could use.Iam going to be using the hotcam stage 1 ive decided,along with the 102mm ross 11:1 piston. I wanted to go with stronger components but i have heard that running stiffer springs with jsut the stage 1 that i am going to be losing soem power????

3 angle valve job - thats getting it ported..right?

·
Registered
26 Posts
Porting involves opening up the intake and exhaust ports, while a valve job is more just unshrouding the valves to get some more flow. Or at least that's the way it goes with Mustangs so I figure it should be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong.
:)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts