Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I wanted to buy a used YFZ450 motor to rebuild while I use my current one, is there a site that has them for sale, or would this be a buy from the factory thing? I'd like to do the work myself, so I'm not looking to get a hold of Mickey Dunlap or anything for an already built motor, just a stock used 450 motor.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
978 Posts
I'd jump on the ebay one if you could. Getting a motor can be VERY tough. A lot of people end up buying the entire bike and selling the chassis.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
edgerat - can you provide a link. I looked and couldn't find it.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Found it.

·
Registered
1,097 Posts
All the talk of methanol and then this post... hmmm.... is there something you'd like to tell us?

We're here for you.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If you're reading my other posts, you'll know that I almost have the methanol dialed in, still having some nagging problems, but have some ideas on what to try. Selector - sent you a couple of PMs but haven't heard anything back.

Fortunately, I don't have any other alternative reasons other than I thought it'd be fun to build another motor during the off/summer season (for us duners), so I can swap the motors season after season and always run something fresh.

In the next 6 months, there are a number of stroker/bore kits coming out, and it'd be nice to be able to build one at my own pace, and have parts available to send in to be reworked when a core is needed. I'm talking to a couple of speed shops who are very close to releasing parts, and I'm interested in doing something with it.

·
Registered
148 Posts
try kandk atv do a search for their webpage. They take the new engines out and put in the motocross ones check the site out . These guy also support the sport so check em out real cool people.

·
Registered
1,726 Posts
I dont think that will work, youll always have a motor sitting there and when you want to run fast you will always have the slow one on there.

Why dont you just buy another 450?
and the one you have bore it out bigtime?

then you can ride both the same day.

a single motor may end up coasting a lot and then you have to waste DAYS getting it running again.

just buy a different color this time.

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
daddog,

I wish it was that easy - you are really making sense though.....maybe I should just buy another bike.......yea thats it......this is how I get willingly talking into things.....heheheh

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
unless you can put your hands on it and hear it run dont by a used motor. if the bike was bad enough to scrap so was the motor. for the price of a good used motor a quality shop should be able to rebuild yours. the wrench rabbit kit for that for that motor is 650 bucks and maybe 600 in labor if you r and r the motor. and then you have a new motor. if it was me i would do the wrench rabbit kit and and send the head ocp (oregon coast power sports. OREGON COAST POWERSPORTS ) and have to port polish and re grind the head.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts