Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 91 warrior. The start button won't work and the neutral light doesn't work. I've disconnected the switch on the clutch perch and connected the two wires on the bike side to eachother. There is no brake switch on my bike. I've taken the neutral sensor by the shifter loose and tried it, tried grounding that sensor and tried starring it. Still nothing. Is this the proper way to test theserver sensors? Does anyone have any other advice?

·
8,529 Posts
There is no really good way without following the manual.

Is the main fuse good?

These older quads can be a pain where people tend to cobble them together to continue riding.

Double check all of your ground and make sure all of the connectors are clean. Wiring problems take a lot of patience and some time a lot of work.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The main fuse is good. I guess I need to break down and buy a manual. I've got it narrowed done to either the neutral sensor or the cdi, but I don't know how to test the neutral sensor.

·
Registered
4 Posts
similar problem

I have a 2000 warrior that relays chatter when trying to crank, sometimes after several stabs at the start button it will start cranking but wont stop w/o pulling negative cable off of battery. I have put in new starting relay,cut off relay, solenoid. appears to be weak pull in of solenoid and may have caused one of the solenoids to arc across its contacts. It cranks when jumping across solenoid contacts with a screwdriver

I have cleaned every contact I can get to and have the proper wiring diagram.

couple of questions and comments:
-is the lever switch normally closed and opens when in reverse? I have bypassed this one
-neutral switch ohms out ok compared to a new one
-could the cdi affect cranking circuit ?
-have cleaned starter switch and kill switch contacts
-battery is new and cranks good when it does crank
-have checked most grounds

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
the wire on the reverse switch does not effect cranking but I just ground the green wire that goes to the lever when I am in doubt. the cdi would not effect the cranking. I am having some trouble following your description but a warrior starter circuit only has 3 parts the kill switch grounds the ignition to prevent spark and blocks the power to the solenoid, probably not your issue. the start button uses low amperage power to close the switch in the solenoid under the left fender, when that switch closes it sends high amperage power to the starter. if the starter button is worn on the handle bars it could cause a problem like yours but I have never seen one stick as you describe, they are just hard to get to make the connection. I would look for a short in the small wires that go to the solenoid first and then I would replace the solenoid. if you can make it crank and stop cranking by jumping the terminals on the solenoid that is the problem in almost every case.

·
Registered
4 Posts
thanks for the reply.

its hard to describe:
most of the time when pushing the starter button it just clicks and relays chatter, but sometimes it starts cranking and wont stop.( usually 5-6 click
chatters and then cranks and wont stop

I agree it appears to be a short in the circuit that controls solenoid -just cant find it!

there is one lead from the cdi to the starter cut out relay coil which led me to question whether cdi could affect cranking

I will keep on digging

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
the cdi could effect it but I am not sure how I think the wire you are talking about just cuts the power to the handle bar switch you could take the cdi out and jump the big terminals on the starter solenoid and it would crank. the harness in warriors are prone to wear, there is not much protection. I had to pull the harness on all 3 of mine and go through them inch by inch and found multiple shorts in all of them.

·
Registered
5 Posts
The main fuse is good. I guess I need to break down and buy a manual. I've got it narrowed done to either the neutral sensor or the cdi, but I don't know how to test the neutral sensor.
. Did you ever find out what the pro was I’m going throw the same thing right now

·
Registered
1 Posts
. Did you ever find out what the pro was I’m going throw the same thing right now
Wondering the same thing. Mine has a new starter realy and it has 12.5v to the relay but when i push the start button the solenoid on the left side clicks but no crank. But if i jump across the two posts on the solenoid its cranks over and runs fine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Wondering the same thing. Mine has a new starter realy and it has 12.5v to the relay but when i push the start button the solenoid on the left side clicks but no crank. But if i jump across the two posts on the solenoid its cranks over and runs fine.
So mine end up being the fuse I had a new fuse on there but it was getting a good connection so I cleaned it out and it worked ever since

1 - 16 of 16 Posts