Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
8,530 Posts
If the pickup coil in the stator is weak it would do that. The pickup is the small coil on the outside of the flywheel. It replaced the points.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
After testing the resistance of the pick up coil with a volt meter it seems to be at specifications with the manual. Interesting enough i was not able to get a good reading from the source coil. This was also true after testing the orange wire/ground on the ignition coil (the spark plug cap side to ground tested fine). It is important to note that the previous owner delivered the bike to me with the battery hooked up backwards. At this point i have eliminated all other possibilities and I know it is ignition. I want to buy the new stator but i want to be sure its not the ignition coil what do you think?

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently just got through diagnosing a weak spark condition on my 98. I replaced the stator, ignition coil, and finally the cdi (which fixed my problem). I would say in your case if the stator did not check out when tested with the meter, that is the problem. If you have the book it should also give you the procedure for checking the ignition coil as well. I would try that if you can. Thats what I wish I would of done instead of assuming parts were bad and replacing them for no reason (spent a lot of uneccessary $$). If it does end up being your ignition coil though, I have one off my 98 that works fine :hey:.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ahh.. sorry... just realized that you already tested the ignition coil...:roll:

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i just received the new stator today im going to put it in tonight. im really hoping this is it its been 2 months working on this problem.. fingers are crossed.. thanks for the helppp

1 - 7 of 7 Posts