Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just doing some venting I guess. Haven't had a really good summer.

Here's my list of thing gone wrong and or destroyed;

First thing was finding out my shop was on the neighbor's land by 6 inches on one end and 3 on the other. Had to move it over.

Now for destroyed parts;

wasted cam in my brand new 454 on break-in, (less than 5 miles on it).

blew out a tire (33x12.50x16.5)

storm ripped the awning off my camper

Ripped the side out of my camper and broke the axle going down the interstate, (not storm related)

S-10 rearend took a dump

454 oil pump locked up and broke the distributer drive gear, (luckly, so it didn't hurt the rest of the engine)

and last the S-10 transmission finally died

One good thing this summer, the raptor hasn't had any problems, (knock on wood!).

Everybody feel free to post your summer horror stories. Let's hear 'em.

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Damn.. sounds like you didnt have a good summer at all :tdown: :shrug:

Maybe summer of '05 will be better :tup:

·
Registered
823 Posts
Ok, So far over the year I Destroyed:

Non - quad related: Tranny in the truck

Quad related:

Crank & rod along with cylinder and other parts
2 swingarms
4 a-arms
1 subframe
6 stock rims (bent or flattened)
4 or 5 tie rods /ends
2 bearing carriers
1 shock
1 TA pipe
3 steering stems
Tons of smaller parts like sprockets, bolts, bearings, bumpers, ect ect.

Thats all I can think of right now. It sucks that all that happend in basically March - December. But shit happens and you just gatta keep on going.

Hey I won track points champ - I got a little plastic plaque with #1 on it. So it was totally worth it! :)) :lol:

Bryan

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
Most places will replace a cam if it fails on break in... But break in is like holding it at 2000rpm for like 15 mins... my buddy put 30 miles on his cam and a lobe self destructed and Jegs sent him a new one.

My list this past year:

Blazer Tranny
Blazer Pinion
Blazer's Eaton Rear Locker (2 rear end jobs.. but I got a Detroit now.)
Blazer Exhaust
Blazer Shock mounts (2x each side)
3 Blazer U joints (1 day)
Blazer Slip Yoke
Blazer Front Driveshaft Yoke and splines
Blazer Steering Column
Lost a hub (bad wheel bearing install, got new ones free)
Blazer Shackle
4 Rear TSL's because of shackle
Broke speedo gear (2x)
RH Side window Shattered
Back Glass Rollers gone
Front bumper
Rear reciever hitch
tow hooks
12,000 lb tow strap
Trashed interrior
And some body damage.

300zx Clutch, slave and master Cylinders

Banshee Frame
Banshee Base Gasket
Getting new pistons now, just for winter rebuild.

Probably more, but I try to forget.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Dammm warrior and blasterBTW... you guys are rough on stuff.. 4 a-arms? :scared: :lol: :lol:

My list:
Big bear left front wheel fell off, hub and all. The castle nut fell off and off went the hub.. :lol: BTW, this happened when I was going 5th pinned down a dirt road :scared:

Big bear brakes
Big bear U-joints
Big bear front CV shafts
would take a whole different topic to name the rest, so I'll move to other vehicle

Honda XR80 brakes
XR80 chain and sprocket
Cracked the rear hub on XR80
Ripped all but 4 spokes out of rear rim on XR80..cost like 140 to fix, 40 for spokes and the rest for labor :roll:

XR80 cables and shifters

KX80 cylinder and piston - the damn circlip fell out of the piston :(
KX80 shift shaft spring, which is inside the clutch case and under the clutch basket so I have no idea how that broke.
KX80 shift shaft is stripped
KX80 clutch is going to be shit soon
KX80 tires (burnouts :) )
KX80 chain and sprocket
KX80 front sprocket lost a tooth
KX80 front brakes
KX80 rear brake assembly, rods, springs, etc
KX80 reeds

I think thats it, but maybe not.

·
Registered
2,352 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Well it's good? to know I'm not the only one with this kind of luck!

BlasterBTW, you said it, shit happens and you just gatta keep on going.

Hey Warrior is that Blazer some kind of rock crawler or mud bogger? Not many people run TSLs on their daily driver! Pics?
You're probably right about most places replacing the cam but I bought it, (with the rebuild kit), around 4-5 years ago! Just got around to getting it put together! Yea, I'm slow, I know.
Besides that I think it was my fault because I used the red break-in lube that comes with Comp Cams and then the short block sit for almost 3 weeks waiting on the heads and intake and almost another week before I got it running. I think all the break-in lube dripped off while I was waiting.
I went with an Edelbrock Performer cam, (cheaper), to replace it.
The oil pump was partially my fault too cause I found a small chunk of metal in it. I'm guessing it was a piece of the old cam or lifters. It just took 1500-2000 miles to find it's way in there. Shoulda cleaned better!

For cam break-in I usually vary the rpm between 1500-3000 for 15-20 min. Just don't work with no lube! First time I've ever lost a cam. Lesson learned!

Keep those list comin!

·
Registered
804 Posts
Guess im lucky only

Killed front bumper
Killed 2 tie rods
Killed a steering stem
Killed a set of handlebars!
Oh killed my collar bone, and my shoulder blade! woop woop!

·
Premium Member
4,336 Posts
1stWarrior95 said:
Well it's good? to know I'm not the only one with this kind of luck!

BlasterBTW, you said it, shit happens and you just gatta keep on going.

Hey Warrior is that Blazer some kind of rock crawler or mud bogger? Not many people run TSLs on their daily driver! Pics?
You're probably right about most places replacing the cam but I bought it, (with the rebuild kit), around 4-5 years ago! Just got around to getting it put together! Yea, I'm slow, I know.
Besides that I think it was my fault because I used the red break-in lube that comes with Comp Cams and then the short block sit for almost 3 weeks waiting on the heads and intake and almost another week before I got it running. I think all the break-in lube dripped off while I was waiting.
I went with an Edelbrock Performer cam, (cheaper), to replace it.
The oil pump was partially my fault too cause I found a small chunk of metal in it. I'm guessing it was a piece of the old cam or lifters. It just took 1500-2000 miles to find it's way in there. Shoulda cleaned better!

For cam break-in I usually vary the rpm between 1500-3000 for 15-20 min. Just don't work with no lube! First time I've ever lost a cam. Lesson learned!

Keep those list comin!
I'm not most people... I drive it at least 340 miles a week, abuse it on the weekends. I can get near 30k out of a set of rears, maybe 35-40k on fronts (I dont rotate front to back, just side to side). It's not too big but I've got big plans as soon as I get on working on airplanes...

Just a weekend wheeler on nice rubber...

1 - 10 of 10 Posts