Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Is there anyway to get all the stator questions/answers in one spot?
I tried the link in the sticky but just got a "404".

Is there another source that shows each year of the Warriors/Raptors wiring colors online? Seems like several people have had this problem.

And is there a definitive answer to what the multimeter's readings should be when testing the stator, coils(s), CDI, regulator, etc. I have found varying numbers (even on this forum) of what seems like should be a consistent number. I've downloaded the manual and supplemental which give different numbers also.

Is there a troubleshooting step-by-step worksheet that somebody has designed for this topic yet?

I've searched for awhile now, maybe I missed something. I'm in the process of diagnosing the common "no spark after sitting for a time".

Thanks in advanced.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Other questions I have on this subject:

1. If I do need a new stator, what is the difference between the $50 stator, coil and gasket combo on eBay (218 sold, 99.9% feedback, etc.) and RMStator's $160 for just the stator?

2. I'm about to install a 4000 lb winch on the nose of my 2005 Raptor. If I have to replace stator, should I be in the market for a "better than OEM" unit or will factory specs work with occasional use of the winch?

·
8,530 Posts
The cheap stators might leave you stranded, and they might not.. I'm going to try one in my 660. RMStator has a pretty good customer service history. You damn sure want to hm the stator right when you take it out of the box no matter what you buy.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to ut in a higher wattage stator to recover the battery when you winch. A winch is not always on though, so as long as you are not winching all the time you will probably be fine. Some guys step up wattage when they put on extra lights that will be on for extended periods.

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I think I have myself talked into RMStator's replacement. It's a 300 watt output which according to them is 20% more than OEM.

I need to get out into the freezing cold shop and spend some time trying to diagnose the actual problem first.

If I do need a new stator, I'm thinking about a deal they have currently on eBay for a stator, pickup coil and ignition coil with a "buy 1, get 20% off 2nd" deal so I thought about adding a rectifier and gasket to the shopping cart for a grand total of $235.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I opted for a new coil first (cheaper and easier than a stator).
Installed last night- still no spark.
I ohmed it out of the box. A little over the spec's numbers but since the spec's numbers were "@ 68 degrees F" and I was testing @ 21 degrees F, I figured my numbers were probably tolerable.
So my next step I suppose is the stator. I'm going with RMStator and their upgraded wattage. I'm also adding a new rectifier since I can get a package deal. I'll install it first, check for spark, then install stator.
If I don't have a spark after all that... You'll see my bike in the For Sale ads :)

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So I installed new rectifier- no spark.
Installed new stator with pick up coil- no spark.
Checked EVERY electrical connection. Sanded/cleaned, sprayed electrical connector cleaner, air dried, applied connector goop and then reinstalled connectors- no spark.
So by 3 AM I was getting upset and I decided one last attempt was to compare ohms through spark plug with another off the wife's warrior. Same reading so I installed hers into mine, pressed it on the top ends' fins, hit the start button and pretty little blue spark!!
I'm not 100% sure which of my remedies worked, but I do know this now: make sure you press spark plug boot onto spark plug with firm enough force to make a connection!!! With a little bit of a wiggle, you can feel if its making contact or not.
Life lesson #27: Start fixing/replacing the cheapest and easiest parts first. Sometimes it IS the littlest things!

I ordered all the parts from RickyStator's eBay page (better deals then from their website). All parts showed up quickly, intact and apparently working correctly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts