Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was out riding the other day on some pretty rough terrain. When it started to get dark, i turned my headlights on and noticed they were extremely dim (barely on at all). So i stopped, turned the lights off and put it in neutral. The neutral light was also extremely dim. Took the seat off to find that one of my battery bolts came off during the ride and the Warrior was just running on the stator.

My question is, shouldn't the stator by itself produce enough juice to power the headlights? I am wondering if i need to go ahead and get a new one if this one is getting weak.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Did they brighten up when you revved the engine? I don't think the stator produces enough juice at idle to maintain the lights. My Banshee would dim at idle but brighten under RPM. Hated that so did a DC conversion and added a battery so the lights would not dim. I would say your stator is fine.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
No, at wide open throttle they were like candles about to burn out. The reason this bothered me is because I used to have a blaster and that only ran on the stator. So I am very familiar with engine rpm determining brightness. I just didn't know if 4you strokes were different.

·
Registered
206 Posts
You know, I honestly am not sure if the dc setup on a 4 stroke works in the same way as far as the lights brightening at rpm and dimming at idle. Did hooking up the battery and getting the battery back to charged state change the lighting? I would think if the stator checks out in the ohm range in the charts, it should be fine. If it is ok and there is still and issue, you may need to investigate the voltage regulator. I am no expert on this matter by any means.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, The battery wasn't dead by any means, i always keep it on a trickle charger. The bolt holding the positive wire came off, as soon as i touched the battery cable back to the terminal, everything brightened back up. I'm not sure how to check the ohm range, i will have to look in the manual.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Unless it quits charging the battery, I bet your fine.

·
Registered
198 Posts
All you have to do is check the battery voltage before you start it, should be 12.6 at least, check it again when running and it will raise. Higher revs will charge more, Reving it should be at least 13.2 or more...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts