Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just got an email from Ricky Stator how to test your stator/pickup coil:

"You can do an OHMS reading on your stator and pick-up if you have a mulit-meter/ OHMS meter. Make sure your meter is set at the 2K setting.

Brown to Green wire should read 275 ohms (source coil)

Red to White wire should read 325-350 ohms (pick up coil)
and between phases (white wires) should be 0-10 ohms"

·
Registered
182 Posts
WarriorCliff77 said:
Just got an email from Ricky Stator how to test your stator/pickup coil:

"You can do an OHMS reading on your stator and pick-up if you have a mulit-meter/ OHMS meter. Make sure your meter is set at the 2K setting.

Brown to Green wire should read 275 ohms (source coil)

Red to White wire should read 325-350 ohms (pick up coil)
and between phases (white wires) should be 0-10 ohms"
I'm confused...my service manual says:

Red-White 459Ω-561Ω @ 68*F
Bren-Grn 270Ω-330Ω @ 68*F

Am I reading something wrong?

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
That was the info i got from Ricky Stator for my 97.

My problem is the brown green was at 209ohms.

Post what you get for readings and i can always forward them to Ricky and see what he says.

·
Registered
182 Posts
WarriorCliff77 said:
That was the info I got from Ricky Stator for my 97.

My problem is the brown green was at 209ohms.

Post what you get for readings and I can always forward them to Ricky and see what he says.
ok I will...I have to stop by mom and pop's to borrow there meter cause mine found the floor...but I will post them up tonight.

·
Registered
182 Posts
ok...I'm confused...I looked at every wiring bundle I could find and I could not find a white wire...here is what I am looking at

·
Registered
257 Posts
Here's the problem. There are 3 different stators for these bikes depending on the years. Different plugs with different wires. Depending on what year bike each person has, compared to Warriorcliff77's 97, you will be checking different color wires. I believe the OHM's will always be the same, but the wire color will be different that you are taking your readings across.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Sharptj: That is not where the plugs are for the stator. They come off the left side of the motor by your sprocket and are usually tucked up by the frame by your airfilter box.

ss0073: Yes i should have posted this pic before of the different types of plugs, so here it is. I have "D"

*edit* All info is from ricky stator's website: http://www.rickystator.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
ok I also have "D" and my readings with it set at 2KΩ

Red-White = .495Ω
Brwn-Green = .292Ω

·
Registered
182 Posts
I just made a new topic to keep this related specifically to the stator and readings...sorry for hijacking it..

·
Registered
10 Posts
ok i have the d picture. That is what my plugs look like. Can anyone tell me which plug is for the inside pick up coil and which is for the outside pick up coil. I know that the 3 wire plug is for the stator. I know that one is right on mine. Just need to know about the pick up coils now. Thanks for the help so far.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
red and white are for the "inside" coil. the brown and green are the small little pickup coil.

·
Premium Member
5,563 Posts
Thanks for seeing this JW82. Now I don't have to email you the thread link; everyone around here knows how lazy I am. :roll: Very good thread thanks for posting.

·
Registered
114 Posts
quick question is the rickystator pickup coil a performance part or just a cheep alternative for the oem if yours ever goes?

·
Registered
257 Posts
i believe it's just a replacement. the stator is better though.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SS is correct. The stator has a better output, allowing you to run more lights/and or better lights. The pick up coil is simply a replacement, there is no need for a "performance" pick up coil. If you want to enhance your spark, look into an iCat.

·
Registered
6 Posts
after taking the stator off to get to the one way bearing do i need to line anything up, like the flywheel behind stator? or just make sure the key is in there right?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Okay guys so I have a problem. I also have the "D" wires. I got a good reading on the male connector which is brown and green wires??? but I got nothing on the female connector which is the red and white wires? I ordered just the pickup coil from ricky stator and they said that should be all I need but what I am reading here says otherwise? I am lost :(

1 - 18 of 18 Posts