Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried one of these yet... Are they Hype or a Must Have?

·
Premium Member
1,924 Posts

·
Registered
686 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It took a little bit of research but found that "SF416C" is the part number for the Raptor .. It's also the same plug used in many Ferraris :wtf:

·
Registered
4 Posts
i don't reccommend them

if your gonna run a splitfire don't have an aftermarket piston in your quad. i've seen the plugs burn holes in aftermarket pistons in 2-strokes. they work good for high compression motors but after a few outtings they're just like any ngk you usually run. i'd just go with an iridium plug and call it a day.

·
Registered
5,300 Posts
Splitfires are junk, don't waste your money.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
RaptorRiderTX said:
thats a bold statement RRTX :scared:

ive never tired them on the raptor , so i cant speak on it.
but ive used them in our SBC race engines with very good results.
When i build worked SBC's, they get AC Delco plugs if its a street engine and Splitfire's if its strictly a track engine.
now, as far as small engines go ( quads, dirtbikes, streetbikes), i am a strong believer in NGK plugs :nod:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
junk. a spark is a spark. a spark in a prom dress is still just a spark. save yer bucks.
:hey:

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
RaptorRiderTX said:
yeah what he said

I wont put any kind of plug but an NGK in my raptor or anything I have that has a motor :tup:

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
westtexasbaja said:
you can't have two sparks at the same time out of the same plug....

actually, yes you can, but its a rare occurance.

anywhoo, the splitfires's claim to fame is not mutiple spark discharges. the plugs claim to fame is that more of the spark is available to ingnite the fuel/air charge.

and because of the vee on the negative electrode it allows the intake charge to " explode downwards" instead of exploding sideways and then down.
and ive seen it first hand that this actually is true. on our SBC's we actually run less total spark advance with the splitfires because the flame propagates vertical as well as horizontal, which means quicker total ignition time.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
Just to let everyone know, choppingo off the electrode doesn't do you sh*t except waste a plug. That just opens it up for gas to get inside and foul it out. Plus I can't see any logical reason why that would work any better at all.

Haven't tried the splitfires, but for my 2 strokes, I am a major fan of NGK...it's all I buy.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
That just opens it up for gas to get inside and foul it out
wow. thats a new one.

the goal for any engineer/designer/builder is to get " the gas inside" the plug as fast as possible. thats the whole name of the game. the faster
" gas can get inside" the plug, the quicker combustion takes place.

now, i do agree that shortening the negative electorode on a stock ingition system is a bad idea, simply because there is less surface area for the spark to take place, and will tax a stock ignition system. and that could be why you foul plugs, but its not because the " gas gets in there". its because the ignbition voltage is not great enough to compansate for the decreaced surface area/larger gap.

hot rodders and racers have been shortening the negative electorde for years with great sucess. as a matter of fact, back in the day that was THE setup to have. but of course they all had aftermarket ignition systems to fully exploit the benefits gained from a shoter electorde.

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
NitrousGuy said:
That just opens it up for gas to get inside and foul it out
wow. thats a new one.

the goal for any engineer/designer/builder is to get " the gas inside" the plug as fast as possible. thats the whole name of the game. the faster
" gas can get inside" the plug, the quicker combustion takes place.

now, i do agree that shortening the negative electorode on a stock ingition system is a bad idea, simply because there is less surface area for the spark to take place, and will tax a stock ignition system. and that could be why you foul plugs, but its not because the " gas gets in there". its because the ignbition voltage is not great enough to compansate for the decreaced surface area/larger gap.

hot rodders and racers have been shortening the negative electorde for years with great sucess. as a matter of fact, back in the day that was THE setup to have. but of course they all had aftermarket ignition systems to fully exploit the benefits gained from a shoter electorde.
You know too much :lol:

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
a spark is a spark is a spark and it don't take much, IF THE MIXTURE AND FUEL IS RIGHT to make power. Mine runs better on 25% race gas than 100% pump gas - using the same spark. I didnt change the plug.
a good self cleaning plug will last longer, but most of these are gimmicks, especially when you try to use a 'wonderplug' designed for a car in a quad or bike.
NGK comes in more ATVs than any other - that should say something.
The AC rapidfires work good in older cars and trucks with oil burning problems, but I dont know if they make any for quads. Thr rapidfire just has a more pointed electrode so the spark is focused point-to-point.
For me, I'll stick with the NGKs - I DONT wanna deal with a cooked piston! :tup:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts