Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was looking at the Sparks X-6 pipe, I hear its around 102 db. My laws are 96db limit but I'm not too worried. I more care about the spark arrestor, do these pipes come with it, or how do you get them, and do they lower the db level enough to meet my limit, if not whats my other option and how would I get that.

Thanks,

MIke.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I would like to know the same! I have been leaning towards this because of all the praise.

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mikeg1005 said:
I was looking at the Sparks X-6 pipe, I hear its around 102 db. My laws are 96db limit but I'm not too worried. I more care about the spark arrestor, do these pipes come with it, or how do you get them, and do they lower the db level enough to meet my limit, if not whats my other option and how would I get that.

Thanks,

MIke.
Call them (661) 872-4343, I have called them twice so far and they help me out with jetting and everything.

I can't really say anything about there spark arrestor version, I only have the open core one. You other options would be CT Racing or Yoshimura with quiet cores. I would go with Sparks though, just call them, they will answer your questions. I have had mine for about a year now and no problems with it, except I think my packing is starting to go, but I put a lot of hours on my bike this year so it is resonable.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Alright I'll do that tomorrow. Do you hav anything else installed on your raptor? I would imagine intake, but anyways what are your current jet settings and what altitude are u at?

Thanks,

MIke.

·
Registered
87 Posts
RaptorRacer888,

I just replaced my packing. It lasted almost 2 years. My raptor was starting to pop real bad after a few wide open throttle runs on decel. It would even die some times when it started popping. I called Sparks and told them it is not my jetting or an exhaust leak. They told me when the packing gets old and worn out it starts to act like a sponge and collect fuel vapors and unburned fuel, which ignites when the pipe gets hot. I changed the packing and it fixed the problem.

·
Registered
2,093 Posts
You can order a spark arrested version of the Sparks X6 pipe.
It uses a diffrent core insert that a supertrapp spark arrestor bolts to, you can add or remove discs to change the db level.

You can also get an open end cap from another pipe that has the same bolt pattern (Trinity, Alba, etc) so you can also run an open end cap when sound is not an issue.

·
Registered
529 Posts
TX660 said:
They told me when the packing gets old and worn out it starts to act like a sponge and collect fuel vapors and unburned fuel, which ignites when the pipe gets hot. I changed the packing and it fixed the problem.
Yes, my sparks does that sometime, the packing is getting a little old so it absorbs the unburned gases and somtimes when I turn it off, a few seconds later I would hear a whoop! and you could see a little flame come out the end cap :)

·
Registered
87 Posts
Mine would shoot a flame sometimes a few seconds after I turned it off. An exhaust leak will cause the flame too.

·
Premium Member
2,856 Posts
THEMOOSE said:
You can order a spark arrested version of the Sparks X6 pipe.
It uses a diffrent core insert that a supertrapp spark arrestor bolts to, you can add or remove discs to change the db level.

You can also get an open end cap from another pipe that has the same bolt pattern (Trinity, Alba, etc) so you can also run an open end cap when sound is not an issue.
he beat me to it, but he's right on the money, you'll be extremly happy with a sparks pipe.

·
Registered
529 Posts
TX660 said:
Mine would shoot a flame sometimes a few seconds after I turned it off. An exhaust leak will cause the flame too.
Where and how should I cheak for a exhaust leak, cause if mine is doing that then I want to make sure it is not anything bad, is it bad? :???:

·
Registered
1,147 Posts
mikeg1005 said:
Alright I'll do that tomorrow. Do you hav anything else installed on your raptor? I would imagine intake, but anyways what are your current jet settings and what altitude are u at?

Thanks,

MIke.
My current settings are as follows:

Conditions: Woodbine, Maryland..fairly close to sea level, I think like 700 range above sea level

Pipe:Curtis Sparks X-6 open end cap, cut down to 11 inches

Cam: Hot Cam Stage 1

Intake: Prodesign adaptor with K&N, no snorkle, lid is on though

Jetting: Dynojet 148, 150 main jets, Curtis Spark needles(I think 27.5), and on the needle im at 4rth clip I think. Basically if you order a jet kit from Curtis Sparks they send you everything to get it running good. Including instructions, jetting recomendations, and thier own needles. Im running Curtis Sparks/Dynojet recomended jetting for sea level, full pipe, intake, with lid on.

Any more questions just let me know.

TX660 wrote:

Where and how should I cheak for a exhaust leak, cause if mine is doing that then I want to make sure it is not anything bad, is it bad?
Where: around midpipe to head pipe joint, and when your headers make a turn coming out of the head, there is a joint there as well you shoud check. Also around the mufler, like for instance, mine leaks where the midpipe like adapter mounts to the outside of the muffler.

How: Look for black soot around the joints.

Is it bad: Mine has been doing it for a while now, I had it fixed once by putting some hi temp silicone around where it leaked, but it leaks again now, and has not hurt anything yet.

TX660:
I changed the packing and it fixed the problem.
Did you just order it through Curtis Sparks?

If not where did you get it from. Im pretty sure mine needs repacked. Also Im thinking about just ordering either the spark arested core as I hear you can change to a open end cap, or the large core version that Curtis Sparks sells.

·
Registered
529 Posts
RaptorRacer888 said:
I hear you can change to a open end cap, or the large core version that Curtis Sparks sells.
Yes, I am getting the big core my friend just got his in today for his 450R, its so much bigger, 1/4 inch doesn't seem like much but its alot. I am going to order mine pretty soon. It's alot louder and more top end.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts