Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to vent about Sony! There products suck!!! Last night my digital camcorder broke! It is only 3 years old and has only been used maybe 3 to 4 times a year. It was never abused or mishandled and the thing now won't play, record or do anything. It does turn on and you can see what you would be shooting through the view finder or little screen but nothing works on it. All it says is c31:22 whatever the heck that means??? Every Sony product though that either my friends or myself has bropken or gone out! There reliability sucks!!! I called Sony last night and they want $269.00 to fix it even though it might be something small to fix. In addition to shipping and insurance when I mail it. What is funny is I went to Wal Mart last night and for the same digital 8 camcorder, they only want $300.00 for it new. When I bought it 3 years ago I think we paid $700.00 or $800.00 for it but then they rapidly dropped in price about a year later :s96: . The model is the DCR TRV 330. Needless to say, I am pissed at Sony for there lack of reliability and then screw job prices on getting the stuff even looked at to be fixed! :tdown: :no:

·
Registered
2,434 Posts
yea man im in the same situation... my ps2 has completely stopped working and they told me they were gonna charge $100 to fix it... i dont ever play it so im not really worried tho...

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
bad luck, all my sony stuff works. sony digital camera, sony computer, pretty old sony pda(been through everything, been throughn around and stuff)my old ps2, sony playstation, sony headphones. everything works prefectly :tup:

·
Registered
981 Posts
im sry too hear that...my sony stuff has always worked good for me....*knock on wood*

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I havent had any problems with any of my sony stuff, espiccaly cd players, id punch them, throw them, ride with them and it still worked perfect

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I'm glad some of you have had good luck with Sony! I could even see if this was the only thing that ever broke prematurely but to date with my stuff and my friends stuff this is what has lasted a year or less. 2 digital camcorders, 1 big screen t.v (2 months) Sony refused to honor the warranty), 1 car stereo, 1 home stereo, with myself, 4 PS2's. I 'm averaging replacing that around once a year. my friends, have gone through at least 3 to 5 PS2's with the dic read error thing. I know there are other Sony products that have gone out with friends, family and myself but that is all I can think of for now. I am through with Sony! It just makes me angry that 1 there stuff doesn't last and then 2 they want almost what it would cost to replace it to just fix it no matter if it is something small or large. I appreciate you all letting me vent though. I feel a little better now.

·
Registered
1,752 Posts
i feel ya jaydawg. i went through 4ps2s with the disc read error also but on the 2nd one i smartened up and bought the ware warrentee

·
Registered
3,022 Posts
Hmm.. thats odd, every sony product I have works like a charm! Infact, our TV is sony and last year a real bad storm came through and the power was out causing the TV to screw up... Well within a few weeks, the TV accually fixed itself! Ever since, all my electronics are sony :tup:

And I know what you mean about rapid price drops, our TV was like 2g when it first came out and now (2 years later) its $800! Oh well, I hope you get a better expierence with sony next time :tup:

·
Registered
1,773 Posts
Clean the head. They get dirty fast. I broke my Canon ZR60 maybe 10 times already. Everytime it was a dirty head. It's an easy fix, Sony's products are amazing.

·
Registered
947 Posts
Ok, first: Electronics like cameras and camcorders get dust and dirt in them, and need to be cleaned, which is why cleaning products are made for them (Like Alex said)! Second: You must understand that that's how the world of electronics works! I paid about $600 to build my custom computer; I can probably build an exact replica of it for about $400 now. Technology is always advancing, and that is why the price dropped so quickly on your camcorder. I can be pretty sure that your camera records onto tapes right? Well back when you purchased yours camcorders could not record onto Mini DVD's could they? So why should the price of a camcorder that records in higher quality and is smaller with newer components be the same price as a camcorder that they made 3-4 years ago which is not so good?

A lot of people don't understand that, but that's how the world of electronics works. There is always newer and faster stuff coming out, which makes the price of older slower stuff drop. Not trying to be mean, but there is no need to go saying that Sony sucks because the fact is, they don't, they make very good quality products.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
yah the price drop, i mean thats how the market works, there is no demand for the old stuff, every one wants the new stuff, so the price has to drop or they wont be solded, but i am shure every one knows that

As for sony, i have never had a problem, we have a sony 25 year old tv, 27 inch or close to that, and it works fine, execpt the red in it is a little messed, but its really old and still going strong

As for ps2....i no so many people with them and never heard of any problems, the only one being my cousin but he is a stupid dumbass, he broke a x-box, ps2, gamecube, ps1, 64, every thing, he drops them off the top of his tv that is about 6 feet in the air after u put it on top of his hudge dresser....so nothing it going to take that over and over

·
Registered
430 Posts
im gonna tell you what i love my PS2 but damn.... im not happy with sony. my cd player stoped playing cd's after 6 months. my little portable cd player{that is sopposed to be skip free} skips all the time. it also will not play cd-rw's and skips even more with cd-r's. it said on the box cd-r cd-rw it even says that on the cd player. also my other portable cd the thing the cd sits on was cheap and broke. my friend joeys PS2 broke and mmy friend ryans PS2 broke. only sony products i have any luck with his my PS2 and my moms camra.

·
Registered
402 Posts
Sonys camcorders are top notch. I plan on buying a VX2000 by the end of summer...I wouldnt sink 1,500$ into something without knowing it was not oging to break. Like what has been said before...if you let a camera or camcorder (anything with a shutter and lense) then they are always going to get dust in them. If you smoke that is also a bad thing for them. just clean it and see if that helps.

-Dillon

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
3 years old!! Thats a pretty long lifespan for some things. I have a sony video camera, and it works great. I have ran it over with my quad, dropped it in the mud and everything, still works great. I have never had a sony digital camera though. I have a kodak, and its about 2 years old, and its starting to work improperly. I just dont think they last that long.

·
Registered
4,873 Posts
I LOVE my Sony electronics :nod:

My parents have a 21 year old camcorder that still works like a charm. My walkman's are 9 years old and I still use them every now and then. My home theater system in my room is all Sony from the receiver, to the CD-changer and the surround sound. Our 52" widescreen is 3 years old and we havnt had a problem with it.

Like several people have said already....electronics need to be cleaned. Dist and dirt like to stockpile in electronic devices, and thats what commonly causes them to cease to work.

Sony will always be one of my top choices for whatever electronics I plan to buy.

·
Registered
728 Posts
I've had good luck with Sony. I have one of the very first PS2's that everyone was having trouble with, but mine still works great. I have a Sony Dream machine alarm clock thats around 15 years old that still works fine. I have a portable radio that works great. My Discman sucks balls though, I don't think it's ever worked right.

·
Premium Member
6,267 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Blastermaster58 said:
Ok, first: Electronics like cameras and camcorders get dust and dirt in them, and need to be cleaned, which is why cleaning products are made for them (Like Alex said)! Second: You must understand that that's how the world of electronics works! I paid about $600 to build my custom computer; I can probably build an exact replica of it for about $400 now. Technology is always advancing, and that is why the price dropped so quickly on your camcorder. I can be pretty sure that your camera records onto tapes right? Well back when you purchased yours camcorders could not record onto Mini DVD's could they? So why should the price of a camcorder that records in higher quality and is smaller with newer components be the same price as a camcorder that they made 3-4 years ago which is not so good?

A lot of people don't understand that, but that's how the world of electronics works. There is always newer and faster stuff coming out, which makes the price of older slower stuff drop. Not trying to be mean, but there is no need to go saying that Sony sucks because the fact is, they don't, they make very good quality products.

I'm not complaining about the value of my camcorder dropping. I completely understand that as technology gets better prices drastically drop on older products. What makes me angry is the fact that even if it is something very minute and inexpensive to fix on my camcorder, they want $269.00 to fix it no matter what it is. That seems rediculous to me when a brand new one is the same price as what it will cost to have it fixed. It could be something as small as dust yet they want me to pay what the camera is worth even if it is a $10.00 fix. The camera though was very well kept. The heads were cleaned regularly and the camera was never abused or damaged.

WildRyder, I have a thing to clean the heads but I am unable to because the camcorder will not play, fast forward, rewind or record. Because of that, I can't run the head cleaning tape in it. There is a place in San Diego off of Convoy street that fixes all of our video equipment at the church I went to back home. The guy is certified to fix Sony camcorders and has already fixed mine once. I'm waiting for my friend to call me back with the number and name to the place so I can contact them to see if he can do it and approximately how much it will cost. Last time the guy fixed my camcorder it was something out of adjustment and it took him all of 2 minutes to fix so he was very cool and didn't even charge me. Hopefully, he knows what the problem is when I talk to the guy and it he can fix it and it won't cost much but who knows???

·
Registered
947 Posts
Well in this case, what I would do is just bring it to a local electronics repair shop and see what they can do for you. I do agree though, $269 no matter what the problem is is quite stupid if you ask me. But, you still can't expect them to fix it for free because most likely your warranty is up. Take it to a local shop or even a best buy and see what they can do for you.

·
Premium Member
4,210 Posts
Well at least you didnt buy a Kodak like Brandon did, http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=41482
Lol, that sucks Jay, my sister has sony camcorder, not sure of the model but shes had it for like 2 years and its been great for her. Somethin went wrong one time and she sent it back and they fixed it for free. Good luck.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts