Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
well i have been away from blaster for about 1-2 years really...i owned 2 of these little shitters so i know about them.

But im interested in getting another to beat and race with.

OK, since i have not had one for a couple years...im a little behind on the blaster world :wtf:
Anyway...whats the good pipe for XC and MX combined...whats this phantom i hear all about???

Im planning on mx'ing the bugger...but not serious...just wanna kick some ass on it. I felt comfortable on a smaller quad (Im 16) so thats why i am choosing the blaster over like a 400ex or what not.

So think works shocks will do? and just some extended a-arms...btw how wide? When i set my tecate for mx i bought +3's...how wide will that set the blaster at?

Also the year really dosent matter to me , i can just swap the rear and front brakes/hubs and go hydraulic, but say for a older one... (late 80's, -mid 90's) what am i looking to pay for a blaster with good compression and no rust really...fenders dont give a shit cause it'll be race cut and ill beat the crap outta it.

answers please?

·
Registered
1,262 Posts
Alright, the phantom is just a pretty popular performing pipe, some people say that it isnt quite the best on a stock motor (still good), but is a great performing pipe with some motorwork (port & polish, etc.). If you got it you would be fine with it, I have heard nothing but good about it.
:tup:
Now about the works shocks, they will do fine, but you may want to wait just a while until these new black widows come out, they are a shock made by works but are supposed to perform a lot better and may be just as cheap as works, anyways, if you need shocks now works will do fine, i would just get the rezzy if they are going to be run on a mx track, i have no personal experience, but I can bet they would have some fade after a while. In other words works will be fine :tup:
The a-arms, im pretty sure you have to get +4-5 to get it out to towards what it would be on bigger quads, the blaster is a very narrow stock quad (i think its like 43 inches wide) and so to get its width into the high 40s than i would suggest at least +4, many run +5s though and would work great. Not really sure on the brand of a-arms and there are a ton of different brands, you never really hear of anybody say anything bad about and brand really, so maybe somebody else will have some suggestions :tup:
Sorry for the long post, hope i helped ya :tup:

·
Registered
3,162 Posts
The Phantom pipe is made by Project Blaster and is said to be one of the top performing pipes for the blaster.
Here's their site: http://www.vcatv.com/PBstore.htm

I would run +4-5, as yamadjs08 said. Also a +4 axle would be good. Works shocks are about 10x better than stock but are the cheapest you can buy. Since you aren't racing too serious, and I'd assume you just want to go to a track on a saturday and whoop some ass. So therefore I wouldn't spend $1000 on something like Elka, so Works would suit you fine.

You can find Blaster's in the mid to late 90's either under or a tad over a grand, many with mods. Late 80's to mid 90's I would say 8 - $1100 with mods.

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
phantom is really good all round pipe... i ride deep trails with it as well as jus riding open fields..

u might want to look into a 240kit..

if u can do the brake work by urself then theres no need to specifically look for an 03...

im not too sure on suspension and arms.. but u can always check blasterhq.com

they have some really experienced racers over there :tup:

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
yeah not serious racing...or i would not have mentioned a blaster...i would be looking at a 450 instead, but im not.

works will be fine. And wow i forgot how small a blaster is +4 or +5 those are HUGE a-arms :scared: ...maybe not for the blaster, but deffinatly for any other quad.

A 240 kit is not really needed...actually i dont want a 240 kit. Not putting people down with those kits, but i kinda stay away from those, cause most are just a vitos with no porting...i would rather have a stock bore with porting then any 240 kit...no matter what 240 kit. A waste of money IMO in my case.

If i get a blaster, im going to look for one in decent shape. max price about $1100 im hoping. Dont care about year. Like i said on my old blaster we put Yamaha R1 rear hydraulic brakes on there, now i have access to full machine shop and welding, it will be no problem at all.

·
Registered
3,139 Posts
pro circuit :tup:
your lookin at 1000-1500? probably

·
Registered
2,095 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
who on this site actaully races a blaster...anyone know? And i dont mean the person who attended one race in their lifetime...

the class i guess i would be in is 99cc-200cc 2-stroke and 99cc-300cc 4-stroke.
I heard those 300ex's are pretty crazy in some of those classes, wanted to know if anyone had some first hand experience.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts