Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is there something I should know before installing the YZ Cam?
It`s the same as the cam mod right?Any diference?(the result)
Do you guys suggest me to do the cam mod or install the yz cam?
Any help would be great
Thanks a lot

·
Registered
595 Posts
Either do the cam mod(free) or install a complete set of hot cams for $260. According to Bob at Magnolia they make a world of difference compared to even the cam mod.

·
Registered
366 Posts
D'ONT install the YZ cam, the decomp pins is taller and they are dogs to start.......been there had that pain in the a**e.......... The electric start on the quad only spins up at 350 rpm, where as the kicker on the bikde cranks em at around 600rpm; the quad sits there cranking over, flooding up then finally starts........... PITA.

Just do the cam mod and save the dollars.

If you really really want a YZ cam I can do you a hell good deal 1/2 new price.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have the YZ in mine. Thing i noticed is it won;t start with out giving it gas while trying to start it. With my kicker is kicks over with no gas needed. That must be why mine won't start with the quick stab of a button.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That`s the only problem?
Did you noticed if you had to give it gas before the yz cam?
In you guys opinion, is it worth, should I install?
Another thing, how much should a mechanic charge me for the job? Is it hard to do?
Thanks

·
Registered
338 Posts
I had the YZ cam in and was having trouble starting it with the electric starter. I put the stock cam back in and did the cam mod and have been happy with it since. I personally am a bit dissapointed that I wasted the money on the YZ cam when I could have just rotated the stock cam for the same results and easier starting.

J

·
Registered
43 Posts
The J said:
I had the YZ cam in and was having trouble starting it with the electric starter. I put the stock cam back in and did the cam mod and have been happy with it since. I personally am a bit dissapointed that I wasted the money on the YZ cam when I could have just rotated the stock cam for the same results and easier starting.

J
I agree.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Sir edgerat, suggest you read the post from Tony Tice / Hotcams re decomp pin height and hard starting. All explained in detail............. surely you have read up on that one ?

YZ decomp pin height + electric start = hard starting problems for alot of people out there, and for Joe average why bother when the cam mod achieves a similar result with out the hassle for no dollars expended.

Sometime our YFZ's (2 built to identical setup) would start perfectly other times, crank crank crank........... We tried every damn idle jetting combo out there, possibly with a totaly stock airbox it may be less fussy......... and yes we found that cracking open the throttle during starting helped, problem was it just wasn't consistant.

For us the YZ cam was a waste of $$$ and have now switched to Hotcams (nice power gains).

Hot cams are the way to go and worth the $$$ Same engines / jetting with HotCams is a starting dream, a touch of the button and running everytime, with the YZ cam you never really knew if it would lite up or grind grind grind............ In GNCC competition that was a PITA............

·
Registered
1,368 Posts
NO I havent read what someone that is trying to sell you something stated about it. I know that I had the megacycle cams that one-lap sells and the pin was way out of spec for the YFZ motor. I have the HotCams in mine and I am NOT using the stock cam timing either. I am just saying I never noticed the difference on mine or anyone else that I know that did the same thing as me.

·
Registered
366 Posts
So what is it you do to get around the hard start problem, please tell all ! Alot of Joe's out here would be interested to know.

Basically the diference is this: YZ cam decomp pin height 140 thou, YFZ cam around 100 thou. YZ has a 0.6 point more compression at 12.5:1

Kicking a YZ the engine spins around 600 rpm, electric start only 350 rpm. Combine the increased decompression and slower spin = for most people anyways irregular starting problems on electric leg YFZ.

There is a very good reason why the boyz at Yamaha changed the decomp pin height and simply didn't use the YZ cam with offset timing.

If you have a fix then let the wider world know......................

1 - 14 of 14 Posts