Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking of studding my tires :hey: for the winter time for on the lakes, has anyone done this? Could I just buy a bunch of heavy duty screws and washers from the hardware store and go to town on the tire with some sort of patteren? I know that a patteren is a good idea on a snowmobile, but with tires I'm not so sure what to do? Any help would be welcome.

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
pwostrel said:
I was thinking of studding my tires :hey: for the winter time for on the lakes, has anyone done this? Could I just buy a bunch of heavy duty screws and washers from the hardware store and go to town on the tire with some sort of patteren? I know that a patteren is a good idea on a snowmobile, but with tires I'm not so sure what to do? Any help would be welcome.
http://www.bluetraxx.com/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=64168&postdays=0&postorder=asc&start=0

use some sheet meatl screws. they look sick and work like crazy!

http://www.atvaddiction.com/race/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=528&stc=1

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
pwostrel said:
Sweet how long do the screws have to be? what size do you use?
i used 3/4 inch long ones so they dont come out. if you do it right they will still hold air perfecly. but if you slip ut youll have to run slime in em wich isnt really a bad idea incase one comes loose wil your out on a like or somethin

·
Registered
595 Posts
I use 7/16 ice screws...they are cupped to dig more and it makes a world of difference. One important thing is to stud the hell out of the front in an equal pattern so you can turn. We race up and down this windy river with tons of sharp corners....5th gear damn near the entire way and it's a kick

·
Registered
440 Posts
rrussell said:
I use 7/16 ice screws...they are cupped to dig more and it makes a world of difference. One important thing is to stud the hell out of the front in an equal pattern so you can turn. We race up and down this windy river with tons of sharp corners....5th gear damn near the entire way and it's a kick

for sure use ice screws

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
yea, but those ice screws seem like a lot of $$$$ for the price of the ice screws I could buy a lot of the sheet metal screws and replace the ones that go bad!

·
Registered
1,110 Posts
pwostrel said:
yea, but those ice screws seem like a lot of $$$$ for the price of the ice screws I could buy a lot of the sheet metal screws and replace the ones that go bad!
Try that when the heads break off and the threads are stuck in your tires.

You can go cheap and use sheet metal screws, but you'll pay for it.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I use a Kold Kutters in my stock tires ... they are either 1/2 " or 3/4" ... I can't really remember . I put 2 per lug on the tires , so I'd say I have atleast 500 screws in the rear tires . I also put 1 screw in almost each front tire lug .

I like the Kold Kutters over standard sheet metal screws because these actually have a nice V shape and are shrap as heck .

One of my friends did the studding with real snowmobile studs like the one in the picture ..... I wouldnt recommend it . Overkill for nothing . He actually did a bit of damage to the quad because of those studs in his tires.

·
Registered
287 Posts
Quad18star what did your friend break on his machine? I have a buddy who ran snowmobile studs during last winter with no problems at all. I ran a set of studded tires like that at the local snowmobile and atv drags and cleaned up the place. Everyone else where running 4-snow and pro wedge tires.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts