Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I own a repair shop and do all diagnostics, repairs, custom fabrication of pretty much anything in the ATV/UTV off road and have been in this business practically my entire life. I am at my wits in with this UTV and I'm crying uncle, this thing is really starting to get to me and I am hoping someone else has had the issue. The repair process was kind of complicated because it had sat for 6-8 months and had every jury rigged thing done to it imaginable.

When I picked up the 2006 Yamaha Rhino 660 4x4 the customer told me it wouldn't start. Got to the shop and on the lift, hung my gravity fed tank, hooked it to the carb, there was no spark so I looked at the coil and a wire had fallen off, stuck the wire back on, fired right up, surprisingly since it had sat for so long. The customer wanted to make it right and undo all of the "home mechanic" that his son did. At this time after test driving it I noticed it would idle fine, run WOT fine, but as it came in to the second circuit from WOT it would bog, play with the throttle, get it to run WOT, and it ran fine. They had this ridiculously big electronic fuel pump with the power wire going out from under the seat, electric taped a cig lighter adapter plug and had it plugged into the cig lighter on the dash and had the fuel lines running directly over the cylinder head with 5" of aluminum foil around them. Also the battery compartment/relays were just slap full of mud as was the engine bay. So knowing the customer wanted it back to stock anyways, I figured I would put everything back to factory and if the problem still persisted diagnose it then, I am very big believer in diagnostics and not parts changing. I completely pressure washed the whole thing top to bottom, took out the battery and the relays/fuses cleaned them, dried them, blew them all out, recharged the battery, then installed everything back to factory positions. I re-routed the fuel lines to factory positions with new fuel filter, installed an OEM vacuum fuel pump, ran all new vacuum lines to the factory positions, made sure all the vent hoses were new and hooked up per factory spec. I drained the fuel tank and thoroughly cleaned and dried any moisture. I changed the oil/oil filter/air filter. Started up, ran for about 10 min then started spitting and sputtering, popping & back firing through the carb, let off the accelerator it would idle but try to start moving again it would start to spit sputter pop and back fire. Just because it was way over due as far as the hours on this UTV I went ahead checked the valves, a little off but I adjusted them to factory compression stroke TDC also checked timing, and it was fine. At this point I decided to check the float level hooking a clear hose to carb drain, level was a little off, took carb off, took the bowl off and it was really nasty. So I went over each port and hole with a fine tooth comb and replaced all the jets even the factory original starter jet. Top diaphragm was in good shape, no tears, and so was the little diaphragm on the side, I did replace springs in both. Set my float level to factory specs, put it all back together. I also checked the choke cable adjustment and the throttle cable adjustment. Reinstalled the carb, went ahead and put the air box on it and started right up and idled beautifully, press the gas, still pops through carb a LITTLE, but mostly just dies. I figured I had to have missed something in the carb, took it back apart, REALLY went through each hole and port with a fine tooth comb, checked the new jets and valves and were fine. Put the carb back together, installed it, turned it over, same thing. I also cleaned the spark arrestor because I have actually had similar issues with different vehicles because of a dirty S.A.
I'm at my wits end, anyone have ANY ideas? I am sorry for the long winded post just wanted anyone trying to help know exactly what.

·
Super Moderator
8,565 Posts
Water in the CDI connections from the power washing maybe? ALso double check that the carb has not popped out of the intake..

·
Registered
1 Posts
I'm hoping for a "duh" answer on this question, because I've been out of fixing stuff for many years. I have a 2006 Rhino 450 cc in amazing condition, but don't get to ride it as much as I'd like to (novel concept huh). I went to start it the other day and all it did was "click" rapidly. I remember these days from working on cars, and generally it was the solenoid or starter, but just incase, I trickle charged the battery for a couple of days. I went to start it yesterday, and same same. Clicking. I'm guessing there's some kind of solenoid or starter assembly, but does that make sense it is one of those items? The lights and horn work, so the battery is charged. Any help for the unhelpable?

Thanks in advance,

Wooffy

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
woods, I had a similar issue with my yfz. it ran very rich when I got it and was way over jetted so I bought a dyna jet kit, installed it to spec and the problem got way worse. long story short after the 3 times through the electronics and the carb I pulled out the dyna jet kit and was going to go back to "stock" and start over. when I compared the needle from the dynajet kit to the stock one the stock one was a lot bigger. come to find out someone had drilled the carb for a bigger needle for some reason. I put the big needle back in and jetted it way down and it fixed the issue. not to be insulting because you sound like you are very through, did you put a new plug in after all the carb work. my yfz will get a little cranky like that when it is about to foul a plug. and to piggy back on digger a little really go over that intake boot my first guess was a vacuum leak between the carb and the head. possibly a weak accelerator pump spring or activator. did the primary coil spec out.

·
Registered
2,398 Posts
wooffy, kinda bad manners to hijack a guys thread with a completely unrelated question try to start a new thread or find a similar thread to add to. when you have 2 questions in one thread the threads get very hard to follow. have the battery load tested, they will take a surface charge when they go bad and not have enough amps to turn the machine over, then ensure all of your grounds are clean and good. make sure the machine is in neutral and jump between the to big posts on the starter solenoid, make sure there is no fumes around because it will spark. if it turns over the solenoid is bad. if it still clicks suspect the starter, pull it and bench test it or have it tested.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts