Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

I have a 96 warrior I recently purchased for $900. I put another 100 in it for clucth plates & springs, air filter, oil, and oil filter. It runs good, real good, but it smokes blue like a fogger. It burns oil something fierce. Would you spend $600 to have it rebuilt, or just sell it and buy another one for around $2000. I am trying to decide what to do.
Thanks

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
WTF 600 bucks for a rebuild my ass!!!

get a new high compression pistin, over size like .02 or .04. rings and gaskets, vavle seals all for around 100, pay 40 bucks to get it bored, u could do it ur self, or at least get the motor out ur self, take it to any small motor mechanic and pay like 50 bucks to get it changed and put the motor back in, and ur good to go

its not much at all, i just did it last winter my self, and the high compression pistin is the best mod for money so far!

·
Registered
427 Posts
Warrior King said:
WTF 600 bucks for a rebuild my ass!!!

get a new high compression pistin, over size like .02 or .04. rings and gaskets, vavle seals all for around 100, pay 40 bucks to get it bored, u could do it ur self, or at least get the motor out ur self, take it to any small motor mechanic and pay like 50 bucks to get it changed and put the motor back in, and ur good to go

its not much at all, i just did it last winter my self, and the high compression pistin is the best mod for money so far!

:nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: ...couldnt have said it better my self..you beat me to it Warrior King lol...anyways go to www.rockymountainatvmc.com they have really cheap pistions and gaskets...id go ahead and get valve springs and a hotcam also and it should be a beast :nod: :tup:
do it your self youll save a fortune

·
Registered
5,541 Posts
Put some new rings in it, and maybe a few other little things and you should be good to go.

·
Registered
537 Posts
dang i love powroll thats the first time ive ever looked at it as soon as i get the money im going for that 430 kit for my warrior that is bad A$$ its a lot of money but i think its worth it!

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Doing it myself sounds great and alot cheaper too. My only problem is I am very inexperienced with this type of work(those clutch plates are the only thing I have ever done to a 4 wheeler). When I have it torn down, if there are other parts that need to be replaced, I won't know it because I don't have a clue what most of the parts even do. If I pay a professional, at least I'll know its right. And that's why I was wondering if it was worth puttting money into it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Doing it myself sounds great and alot cheaper too. My only problem is I am very inexperienced with this type of work(those clutch plates are the only thing I have ever done to a 4 wheeler). When I have it torn down, if there are other parts that need to be replaced, I won't know it because I don't have a clue what most of the parts even do. If I pay a professional, at least I'll know its right. And that's why I was wondering if it was worth puttting money into it.
Thats what we are here for to help you duh :nod:

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks alot, I have made up my mind. I am definetely going to rebuild it. What sort of tools would I need? I know I need to buy a torque wrench for sure. I have the yamaha service manual, so I have something to go by for instructions, but it's all greek to me so far. Do I have to tear it apart to know what parts to order, or can I get a list of basics I will need to purchase no matter what from you guys here first?

Thanks

·
Registered
201 Posts
well id look on ebay at some stuff then go to a auto part store and buy a clymers manual to help ya it has realy great instructions on every detail of the warrior

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
One question I have is can I order a top end kit not knowing what I can safely bore it too BEFORE taking it apart. It's a used ATV and I don't know how wore out it is.

·
Registered
6,739 Posts
well, ur best bet i would say is to stirp down the frame and get ur motor out ur self and take it to a small motor macheic in ur area. They wont charge 1/2 of what a yamaha dealer would, and they do just as good of a job.

If ur not shure if its been bored before, u can get a new cylender sleave. But what i would do is tear it down, get the sleave out and get a machine shop to measure it, and then order a pistin that is a bit bigger then what they give u for mesurments and get them to bore it out to fit it.

Really there should be any parts u would be needing in ur motor. Safe bet fo vavle seals, pistin, rings, and gaskets, that should be all u need.

About the big bore kits, i no FST has a very good rep with the warrior, slithers loved his 446, and corn loces his 435

·
Registered
427 Posts
if your gonna get a stroker/bigbore kit go with fst their the best for the price... :nod:

what i would do would be to get a high compresion wisco piston (less then 100$) that is for a .40 bored out sleve (thats the bigest you can get for the stock sleve) then take your whole motor out and take it down to some body that can bore motors...i know auto zone here did my buddys for like 50ish bucks so its not that bad....then go ahead and get a full gasket kit(20ish$)...since you were talking about taking it to a mechanic for 600$ id imagen you have alittle money so id go ahead and get valve springs (around 100$) then get a hotcam (130ish$)...it shouldnt be that hard...just go by the service manual and once its all together it should be ALOT better... :nod: :tup:

·
Registered
427 Posts
hey slithers how much are thoughs manuals and where can you get one? whats the diff between the warriors serice manual and the clymer?

·
Registered
1,987 Posts
The clymer manual is much more detailed and easier to follow. Go for the rebuild it will be alot cheaper. For about 300 bucks you could do a full top end rebuild, with a newpiston and rings, and a cam, valve seals and etc. It not that hard when you have a manual. :tup: :tup: :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts