Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
Well, I just got my motor back together tonight, and I've got the .390 Web (that has a .440 intake, .390 exhaust). Her'es something that their paperwork does NOT say, that they told me when I called them with some confusion on what they said the valve clearnces should be...you have to cut off 60 thouanths of the valve cover, particularly the intake (but we did both) where there's like a litle brace across he inside of it, becasue when the lobe travels by, the spring will come back up and pop the valve cover. Sure enough, when we looked, we could see where it had been hitting. We previously thought the damage was from one of the other two cams that had sheared. That's a damned annoying thing about it, btu other than that, i love it. I had the same cam in my other Warrior, ad it ran like a demon. this one should be the same, but better, as I have a higher comp. piston and wilder port & polish now. Overall, i'd say it's great. Tons of grunt, btu still revs well, IMO.

·
Registered
897 Posts
I don't understand. Is the cam a 390 lift with 88 as the grind? Or is it a 440 lift cam with 87 grind? I have the web grind 88 thats a 390 and have had no problems with it. Got something like 40 hours on it. I love the thing and the useable power it gives me. I also didn't know about getting hard weld rocker arms with a web cam, but so far so good. I say get it, use the new bolt supplied, good red locktite, and whatever torque amount asked for.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
It's not the .390 side that's the problem, it's the .440 side. The .390 cam is actually a .440 intake and .390 exhaust. And the .440 lobe causes so much lift that when the spring returns back, it will overextend, I guess, and hit the brace in the valve cover. That's what Web told us, and sure enough, my intake valve cover showed it. Apparently, not all Warriors had that little brace thing in the valve covers, only the later years.

·
Registered
1,741 Posts
My other one was a 2000 model. I dunno. maybe it WAS hitting the cover and I just didn't realize it. Maybe tht the tickins in the top end, not the valves themselves. I dunno. It seems kinda' odd, but that's what Web told me last night. Somebody else can call them to check it out, I won't be offended. But after they told us that, we checked it and it had been hitting. Maybe some covers don't have that brace thing. I dunno. :shrug:

·
Registered
897 Posts
Well, I have a 2003 warrior with the Web .390 lift cam grind #88. I have the springs they recommended along with Ti retainers. The valves are adjusted perfectly and the motor makes very little noise over stock. And I mean very little more. When I got the cam, I measured with a caliper and if I can remember correctly, both intake and exhaust had the same lift. The lift difference over stock is a major improvement but not THAT noticable to the eye. However, the valve overlap and timing was noticable. I dunno, I will look under my cover next time I take the head apart, but that's not likely to happen for a long while. Fingers crossed :lol:

1 - 7 of 7 Posts