Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Recently changed my clutch plates on a 2003 raptor. Changed oil and coolant during the replacement. Started up great, double checked all fluid levels during starting, warmup and shutdown. Added fluid as needed till all fluids measured full. Took the bike for a quick ride down the street and noticed that first gear sounds great. Anything above 1st gear I'm getting a rattle in the motor case. Going down the road i engage the clutch so motor goes to idle and the noise continues to rattle in the case.

Recap: Rattling only happens when bike is moving. It is random not consistant to motor rpm or speed of bike. Only happens when bike is moving. Double checked all bolts, skid plates ect. Rattling is louder on the left side of bike opposite of clutch.

Any ideas on what I did wrong?

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
check your chain tension. if you did not split the cases you should not have been able to effect anything in the transmission. if the tension is good and it is well lubed I would double check the torque on the clutch springs and the input shaft for the transmission. if you don't normally ride on pavement without a helmet you will hear all kinds of crazy noises during a test ride.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Cory52000 for the reply.
I have checked the chain. ( That was my first thought as well ). But the rattling seams to be coming from inside the motor case for sure.
When you say "double check the torque on the clutch springs". When I installed the new springs I tightened them to 9pds after they were bottomed out.
As far as the input shaft.... This is a possible cause... maybe.... I read the instructions on how to set the clutch after a new install. The only thing I did not do is remove the input shaft before putting the cover back on. I removed it after the cover was on and adjusted the positioning to make sure the gear was tight and in position.

Could something have fallen off of the input shaft when I pulled it out after having the cover on?

The clutch works fine and there is no loose play in the shaft at all.

·
Registered
2,007 Posts
I cant say for sure I was just speaking in generalities and have not had a raptor apart to know of a specific problem not sure where to go from here. hopefully digger will see this he has pretty solid raptor specific knowledge. you should be able to tip the machine up on its side to avoid draining the oil, if it was me I would take it apart and go by the book to make sure I did not mess something up. I think they had fixed the transmission by 03 so I doubt it is that. wish I had better info for you.

·
8,524 Posts
Did you get the thick machine washer with internal cogs that was between the basket and the pressure plate back in in the right place? It doesn't look like it belongs in there but it is needed. Otherwise I would pull the clutch cover and give it a look.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the reply Diggerzmound.
Took the whole thing apart again last night. Double checked the washer was in place. Double checked for strange wear or placement of the clutch plates and steals. Again everything looks great and the clutch works just fine.
Still getting the rattling noise on the other side of the motor. :roll:

·
8,524 Posts
Does it crank smooth when it starts? Could be a weird coincidence that the one-way is failing.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yes it cranks great. The motor itself runs amazing. Its only when the bike is moving that I get the rattle. Most noticed in 2nd gear and up. Can't really hear the rattle in first gear.

I'm starting to think that something else broke when the clutch started slipping. Might need to check the other side of the motor too.

·
8,524 Posts
Were you missing any parts on the install? Just kidding.. This is a hard one to help with from the keyboard..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts