Blue Traxx Forum banner

Raptor Airbox Mods

11K views 9 replies 9 participants last post by  6ixsixty 
#1 ·
I ordered a custom bracket and outwear to modify the airbox lid on my Raptor from EHSracing.com. I have not cut my lid yet and am thinking about returning the kit. Here is the reason. I talked with a local atv shop here in town and the owner swore that modifing my airbox would not give me any more HP. In fact he said that it would probably lower my low end power. On the other hand I read an article in Dirt Wheels a while back and they took a stock Raptor cut the airbox put in a 160 and 165 jet and gained 3HP. I have also seen the aluminum airboxes that do not have a lid at all on ebay. Has anyone successfully taken off their airbox lid or cut it and noticed a HP gain.

Thanks

2002 Raptor
FMF Power Core IV
K&N Power Kit 144/146 jets
Renthal Bars
Shredders on Beadlock Rims

#2 ·
With the lid off the stock air box you get a lot of turbulance.
I did get an additional 1HP out of it but the Dyno chart showed the turbulance. All other pulls had a smooth curve but with the lid off it looked like a rollercoaster!
CV carbs don't like turbulance!
The after market ones are designed diffrent to reduce the turbulance.

#3 ·
i donno why you order it, you can do it by your self, i sow one here b4 and why of the smat guy make it and he post the pic of it, and i'm thinking to do it by my self.

save ur money

#4 ·
I drilled two 1.75 inch holes in mine, did the Yosh complete, and put a K&N on it with an outerwear. It made a big difference. I went up one on the pilot jet to a 25, and 160/165 mains, and it rocks. If you do modify the lid, you have to re-jet. The stock setup will be too lean with just opening up the lid.

#5 ·
I've done a few experiments with this one..
Tried on street and Florence, OR dunes
Tests:
1. Stock with K&N OW
2. Trimmed Snorkle w/ K&N OW
3. No snorkle w/ K&N
4. No lid w/ K&N OW
*have to run lid to have secure seal for filter, mine had a pretty tight seal for a street run only.
5. Cut lid/no snorkle w/ K&N OW w/ 160/165 jets.

In order of power increase
1. Cut Lid w/ jetting
2. No Snorkle with lid and K&N
3. Trimmed snorkle- some gain over stock, not much
4. Stock
5. No Lid - actually lost hp with no lid/snorkle

#7 ·
I got 43.3HP with Sparks X6, Dynojets & 5~1" univents. It cost $50 & I did all the work on it. I left the front plastic off when I took it in so it would be easier to work on.

It was an automotive dyno & mine was the first ATV he'd done. It took forever for him to figure out how to tie it down. I'd like to try it again on an atv dyno to see if the auto dyno robbed me of HP, After all it's designed for a much heavier vehicle with a lot more HP.

#8 ·
I have my air box completly removed with 2 clamp-on K&Ns. It helped on power almost as much as the pipe did. You can't, however, clamp them onto the carbs, they are too close together. You have to rig up something to clamp the filters onto the velocity tubes.

#9 ·
pro design i thinks sells a kit for abot a 117.00 that does away with the air box all together that mounts to a plate of somekind where the box is supposed to be. But i don`t think the gains would be worth the risk of bad air to damage the motor, unless your going to stay dry and out of mud?
the stock air box sucks bad it is a age old design and don`t seal very good also causing bad air flow so this is somthing that needs to be
improved Anyone? have any thoughts on a good flowing box that
will protect as well as breathe?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.