Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, I have a stock 2003 Raptor 660. The quad sat for about 4 years due to starter clutch going out. I replaced that, cleaned carbs,set float using clear tube method. Disabled parking brake, grounded the reverse rev limiter, and still the quad dies when I try to accelerate. It starts and idles fine but wont rev. I also checked valves and timing is good. Please help a fella out.. any advice is appreciated

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
run some sea foam through it and if that clears it up it may take a tank or 2. run it for 15 minutes to get the fuel with sea foam in the carb, let it sit overnight and repeat. if the gunk is not too bad it may work. if that does not work clean the carbs again. you may have to put carb kits in the ethanol in todays fuel eats that brass pretty fast when they sit

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Raptor660

I've had seafoam in the tank and let it run awhile. And have had the carbs apart a few times.cleaned them out really well and replaced all the jets with same size stock. Jets are in the right place, float level good. I did notice some of the coil winding on stator are damaged.

·
Registered
2,285 Posts
hmm. try new plugs even if they look ok. could be the stator charge the battery well and unplug the rectifier and see if that makes a difference. do an ohms test on the stator pickups and the primary coils. did you own the machine prior to the starter clutch going out, did it run fine then? yamahas can be pretty flat mid range in stock form but it should not die. if the electrical checks out you could take off your air box lid and see if it gets better or worse or move your needle one notch richer and see what that does. i have an old warrior that all of the packing blew loose in the pipe and stuck in the spark arrester, that caused a similar issue.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Got a new plug and dropped the needle clip to the 4th position starting to rev a bit but pops and backfires a bit

1 - 6 of 6 Posts