Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I havent read much on the yfz450 but I hear they can ride all over the raptor 660 all day long. Is this true? What am I better off getting for dune and trail riding? I figured this would be the place to find out. thanks for all the info guys.

· Registered
149 Posts
I have or had both, get the 450 over the 660.
The front end on the 660 is light, it is physically larger than the 450, the 660 does have a softer seat.

In the dunes there is no comparison between the 450 and the 660

On the trails they say the 660 is better but just change the front sprocket on the 450 and you now have all the low end lug you need.

· Registered
404 Posts
nomax said:
I have or had both, get the 450 over the 660.
The front end on the 660 is light, it is physically larger than the 450, the 660 does have a softer seat.

In the dunes there is no comparison between the 450 and the 660

On the trails they say the 660 is better but just change the front sprocket on the 450 and you now have all the low end lug you need.

Not totally true. I witnessed a stock 660 destroy a 450 up Sand Mountain in Nevada everytime. A 450 is much better overall, but don't race a 660 up a steep sand dune.
The old saying"there is no substitute for dispacement" will win.

· Registered
1,399 Posts
jt911 said:
Not totally true. I witnessed a stock 660 destroy a 450 up Sand Mountain in Nevada everytime.

The old saying"there is no substitute for dispacement" will win.
If you're racing the unlimited class, then why stop at 660cc? Just put a street motor in it, beat all the 660ies and 450ies, and get great fuel economy!

· Registered
149 Posts
So go with it911s advice and get the 660, but you better not leave the steep sand hill.

· Registered
24 Posts
i've had my one way bearing since 02 never had a problem

· Registered
708 Posts
get the la design one way it wont break put one in mine. I had a 660 now have a 450 i like the 450 in almost every possible aspect except i liked the 660 for cruising down the road more thats about it.

· Registered
622 Posts
Having ridden both of them, there is really no choice about it; 660 all the way. Perhaps if I was a kid, or a smaller adult, the 450 might be an option. I could not comfortably ride it to save my life - almost reminded me of the powerwheels video that was up here a little while ago. The 450 is definitely geared to little people or people that don't mind being cramped - maybe that is why I own the 660 and a Bombardier Traxter (Step thru design and enough room to fully recline on the seat :) )

Definitely an aspect worth considering if you are bigger than the average bear...

· Registered
111 Posts
Having ridden both, and owned a raptor, I would say the 450 is the higher performance machine. A raptor will not handle nearly as well as the 450. If you want comfort and low end grunt, the 660 is the better machine. If you want a high performance machine, get the 450. Reliability isn't an issue with the 660 if you buy an 03 or newer. I bought my raptor after it had been absolutely abused for a year by a guy I know. Then I beat the living piss out of it for another year and had no problems with it whatsoever. (it was an 04')

· Registered
622 Posts
RPyfz450 said:
660Ryder said:
I own the 660 and a Bombardier Traxter (Step thru design
I suppose that's good if you're going to wear a dress when you ride. :*laughing out loud*:

:lol: :nod:

No wet feet :)

Or here...

Or you can do the Bayou style... :(

Definitely a fun machine, even with the dresses on.. :cool:

· Registered
378 Posts
I used to ride an 04 Raptor 660, I now ride an 04 YFZ450.

Yes it is cramped, but in order to get the lower seat height for better handling, you have to sacrafice somewhere.

As for the motors - they do not compare. The YFZ is much mor high-strung and needs to be ridden like a 2 stroke....the Raptor is more for putting and playing around.

If the YFZ is not a good trail machine engine......why would they use it in the WR450F ?

The reverse feature of the Raptor is nice, but being able to change a clutch at the track/trail on the YFZ is nicer.

They really are apples and oranges though.....built with different purposes in mind.

· Registered
30 Posts
The YFZ is especially in a different class when it comes to drag racing so if y u are riding dunes u decide you want to drag race go with the 450 becuz a 660 doesnt stand a chance. The 450 is also equipped with better suspension for jumping in the dunes and on trails.

· Registered
8 Posts
i beat almost every 450 i have raced that was over 200 yd. and my one way has only went out 1 time

1 - 20 of 23 Posts