Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will gasoline work for a quick clean for the stock air filter? I have a big ride tommorow, and i dont have any real filter cleaner/charger.... It doesnt matter if it eats it a little... I just need to clean it for tommorow.!!!

·
Registered
416 Posts
Soap and water also works

·
Registered
106 Posts
Soap and hot water is fine........the soap will cut the oil and the hot water will rinse it off - gasoline will start to eat away your filter pretty quick - plus it stinks. I've also used degreaser......

·
Registered
642 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, the whole soap and water thing sounds alot better than the gasoline...
How should i do it... Just rub it, or just soak it in the water/soap combo?
Thanks guys!

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
Raptorride69 said:
Ok, the whole soap and water thing sounds alot better than the gasoline...
How should i do it... Just rub it, or just soak it in the water/soap combo?
Thanks guys!
I would put some soap and water in a bucket. Then place the air filter in the bucket and use your hands to work the soap and water into it. Then rinse.

To re-oil, put some air filter oil in a plastic baggie, then place the air filter in the baggie and work the oil into the filter. Mess free :tup:

·
Premium Member
797 Posts
Raptorride69 said:
Will gasoline work for a quick clean for the stock air filter? I have a big ride tommorow, and i dont have any real filter cleaner/charger.... It doesnt matter if it eats it a little... I just need to clean it for tommorow.!!!
Mineral Spirits...aka paint thinner. Thats what I use on mine and you can buy it at Wal-Mart. Much better then gas and just as good as the so called filter cleaner.

·
Registered
38 Posts
[quot
e="blwettstein"]i use mean green or simple green[/quote]

me too works great

·
Registered
5,983 Posts
I use filter cleaner, then use the soap and water...... Just put hot water in a bucket with some dish soap and you will be good to go :tup:

·
Registered
106 Posts
I just put some dishsoap and water in a spray bottle and spray down my filter really well - let it soak a few minutes.....and rinse it with hot water.....if it's foam, you can squish it around with the soap on it to make sure you get the soap all over....then rinse it out. If you have Simple Green you can do the same thing......you just need something that will cut the oil down so it rinses out........I do it all in my kitchen sink..... :)

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
simply green sounds like the right solution to use.. I would spray all rinse water from the inside of the foam filter out during the rinse phase..

For the K&N I'd use the K&N cleaner however I've also used dish soap after the initial K&N cleaner for a second cleaning.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts