Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i currently have a 2005 yfz 450 with a duncan fatboy exhaust, maxxis razr rear tires and tag bars, i bought it for $3000, i am thinking of trading it for a 2003 raptor 660 with a cobra exhaust and axel spacers, he wants 2200 for it so i am trying to get $500 with it, what do you guys think, r the 2003s problematic, i am looking for a good bike for trails and sand pits, i want the raptor because it seems lower maitence and less worry about something breaking or blowing the motor and the raptor seem like a good trail bike but i dont want to run into a lot of problems with that

·
Super Moderator
8,637 Posts
The 03' is a good machine. You won't have much more than general maintenance as long as it has been well maintained by previous owners.

·
Registered
339 Posts
i had an 03 and it was junk but i'm pretty sure it was the last owners fault
most ppl that have them love them so overall i'd say they are nice, just make sure that you look at it very carfully before you buy it

·
Registered
21 Posts
Starter clutch seems to be the biggest problem. It's about $220 for the L&A aftermarket kit and a two hour job if you do it yourself. I just got my '03 and I'm doing the starter clutch this weekend. Mine is making a godaweful noise like slapping metal together when it turns over.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Starter clutch is the main thing on any 660, aside from tranny issues on some 01's.

Reverse rev limiter can be bypassed easily by the way, so don't consider that in your purchase.

660 is a great bike IMO, and I like it more than the YFZ's I've ridden, but stock-stock (or even as it sits now) your YFZ is probably a lot quicker until it tops out.

Is the Cobra a full system or a slip-on ? Slip-on pipes don't do much, if anything on the 660's, so I wouldn't put a whole lot of value on that in your considering. The headers are where the power is to be gained. You can get comporable gains from pulling the sparky out of the Stock Exaust.

You can find 660's all day for $2000-2500 with some decent mods, so I would try and sell your YFZ so you have cash and can pick out a bike specifically instead of just having trades offered for options. I think you'll find a lot more people selling nicer 660's to move up to 700's than you will people with 660 wanting to trade to a YFZ

My $.02

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.