Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My YFZ has the pro designs billet air filter bracket with a K&N filter on it. I want to toss the K&N because it seems to let too much sand in the engine. (I have one on my raptor and it doesn't filter that great) I want to keep the pro designs bracket but use a foam filter. Where can I get a foam filter that will fit the new bracket? Thanks

Kyle

·
Registered
2 Posts
I want to toss the K&N because it seems to let too much sand in the engine.
Is the sand in the oil,oil filter? way I ask is ,I put a K&N on my 450.I also removed the lid "yes new jets".Then hit the dunes for the weekend.Sunday I changed the oil,the filter was plugged with sand. :s96: Call me stupid if you wont :wtf: I didn't know that I needed a filter on the case vent that goes into the air box after you remove the air lid.I think even if it is stock you should put one on for the sand

·
Registered
64 Posts
I hope you guy's are using an Outerwears wrap with your K&N. I just spent 4 days at Glamis with no airbox and an ESR intake(airbox eliminator kit)using a K&N+Outerwear wrap. After the trip I pulled the wrap off and the filter was spotless.You need to use the wrap.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, I got the wrap for both of my quads. I will grease up the intake and see if any sand particles get through the wrap. You don't use the K N oil filter spray on the wrap do you?

·
Registered
218 Posts
This is a huge area of debate. This is what we have found here in texas which is very dusty, sandy, and wet too. We get it all.
Ok guys..........FACT: the K&N allows more air to flow. And it does filter better when cleaned and oiled properly. DO NOT OVER OIL !! DEFINATELY use the water resistant outerwears, it is priceless. With this setup, you will not have to clean the filter very often at all.
The foam filter is what my brother and all his banshee friends WERE running. They all would find dirt in their carb boots after every ride. They are a pain to keep clean and oil. And they also do not flow as much air. They have all had motor problems like cranks, pistons, power loss, water log.....bla bla bla. Guess what ? They all now use K&N with the outerwears as they did before they were "convinced" by other users to switch to the foam setups which leads to all of the problems they had.
lets see....better protection? :tup: more power? :tup: NO BRAINER.
And definately put a filter on your crank case breather, a mini K&N is great, I would also leave the stock black box.

·
Registered
175 Posts
yfz450man said:
And definately put a filter on your crank case breather, a mini K&N is great, I would also leave the stock black box.
Which K&N did you use? Sounds like I need to pick one up before my next trip. :( I didn't have one on my first time out with the new ESR kit. Should I be concerned? If so what should I check for? :wtf:

·
Registered
103 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think I will run the K&N this weekend with the filter sock on it. I will check it intermittenly (spelling?) and see if it is letting dirt onto the filter itself. If it is, I think I will look into another type of filter. I sure like cleaning the ken & norm filter VS the foam filter using that sticky filter oil, filter grease, gasoline to clean up, etc.

·
Registered
218 Posts
aahbullay said:
yfz450man said:
Which K&N did you use? Sounds like I need to pick one up before my next trip. :( I didn't have one on my first time out with the new ESR kit. Should I be concerned? If so what should I check for? :wtf:
Got it at the local Auto Zone for ten bucks. It was in the Import Section. It works great.
Just change your oil and run a good synthetic like Mobile 1 MX4 and you should be just fine. There are other oils out there that may be better, but this one suits me just fine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts