Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after changing my head gasket I learned that the new one still leaks so I decided to purchase a cometic head gasket and new head bolt and a new seal for the head bolt but because I don't want to take this thing apart I decided to take this to a machine shop to get resurfaced also if I'm doing this with the head I might as well do the same for the cylinder but since I'm removing the cylinder I might as well get new rings and we'll I always love to make more power so I ordered a new piston it's a 10:5 to 1 compression with the same stroke as stock also it's a 84 mm bore which my head gasket it also a 84mm boar now the piston is a kit and comes with rings and some other stuff but should I be buying other things that the new compression may need like messing with the carb I don't really know now this piston won't come in until the 25th also should I wait for the piston before I bring everything to the shop or should I just tell them my piston asked for a 84 mm bore and would it be smart to give the head bolts a little extra ft pounds when installing them or should I just do what the book says

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
wow thats hard to follow. i am not sure on the specs for a warrior off the top of my head but i assume 10 and a half to one is higher than stock? if so surfacing the deck and head will further increase your compression rate and cause you to need higher octane fuel to prevent detonation. this will build more heat and you will likely have to run an oil cooler from a big bear 350 if that is the case. as to the bore, i assume from your description 84 mm is a big bore and with that you will likely have to re jet the carb. i would start with the same pilot and go one smaller than what you have now for a main and see how it runs. i know it is counter-intuitive to drop a size on the main but that is generally a good place to start. (i have done a few comprehensive write ups on jetting big bores if you want to look them up for the details on why). you will need to run it to dial it in exactly. as to the head bolts follow the book. the torque rating has to do with the stretch of the Steel bolts and the holding capacity of the aluminium block not the compression. using the incorrect pattern or over tightening will cause a leak just as fast as being too loose. you are going to regret the high compression piston and big bore. a warrior's only real flaw is dissipating heat and that combination will compound the mater. dont further complicate things by shaving the head and deck if its not needed. measure it and if it is flat leave it alone. to do a proper job the shop will need the cylinder, head, piston and rings at the same time.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ok that's very helpful the stock bore for a warrior is 83 mm so I guess that I should order some new jets then to play around with and I think their is a post on here for installing a cooler on the warrior thank you very much.

·
Registered
2,111 Posts
that is not a huge increase so you might want to run it before your spend any money on jetting but if you are going to look at the jd jet kit. the kit changes the needle for a better fuel curve and give you multiple jets to play with

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ok perfect so I'm going to head to the machine shop because the guy told me to let him see the head so he knows if he can bolt it up and then I will update him about how I ordered a piston and we will see if he wants to do it with the new piston then which I think your right he will want the Piston

·
Registered
27 Posts
Do they not make different thickness headgaskets? If your head is warped,yes! Without a doubt get it flat. If you raise the compression on anything there will always be tuning...Get some good gloves while you’re at it .

·
Registered
58 Posts
Unless there is something terribly wrong you only need to check that head and cylinder are flat. If they need resurfacing you should only need to take a couple thousandth off which will not raise the compression enough to worry about. A big piston will not give you much gain until you do head work and a better camshaft. Why do you even think it needs to be bored? It needs to be checked by a machinist to see what it does need otherwise you are likely wasting your money.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts