Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hey just bought a yoshi somp full pipe and when i start it up it glows after it gets warm just idling ,but when i throttle it up it goes away. i turned up the fuel/air mixture till it shoots black out of the pipe but it still glows.i even messed with pump shot and it still glows.can anyone help me,thanks for any info

·
Registered
31 Posts
From the head to about the first curve mine gets red also, then when it cools down it will be a blue color and the rest of the pipe should be golden brown color. The pipe is much thinner than the stock and stainless doesn't dissipate the heat as well as steel. So this is normal.

·
Registered
5,060 Posts
astorvick said:
From the head to about the first curve mine gets red also, then when it cools down it will be a blue color and the rest of the pipe should be golden brown color. The pipe is much thinner than the stock and stainless doesn't dissipate the heat as well as steel. So this is normal.
:tup: Put perfectly. Mine glows sometimes also. Totally normal.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
thanks guys i went up and tried it today and this pipe is cool looking and it hits pretty hard, pretty mellow power.by that i mean itsnot peaky its a constant power all the way to the top

·
Registered
171 Posts
actually its not normal if its glowing
red all the way up past the curvature
of the head pipe in broad daylight
you should see only a little bit of red
(almost blood in color) about 3 inches
out of the pipe when idleing.
i contacted yoshimura about this problem
and the told me that i had too small of a jet in
so i put larger main jets in (148,150)
and the lean condition went away

the bike is getting more air than fuel
fuel is what cools the engine and pipes
hope this helps
notice i have the same pipe

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
black02raptor said:

hope this helps
when i first read this, i thought i was reading poetry because of the way its layed out. :lol:

anywhoo, yes, its normal, especially with FMF's and Yoshi's pipes.
my pro circuit header only glows if it sits and idles for a few minutes, but the header walls are ALOT thicker.
and when it glows, its a very faint red, from the start of the exhaust till about an inch and a half down the header.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
black02raptor said:

hope this helps
thats what mine doing like 3-4 inches on the head pipe, i think its ok cuase i rode it and its fine

·
Registered
4 Posts
that's weird

the only time the pipe should really glow there is with the choke on and its idleing. my dmc only glows at that time and only until i shut off the choke then it cools down and under normal idleing conditions without the choke it never glows. ya sure it isn't your idle mixture, main jets have nothin to do with idle

·
Registered
62 Posts
The pipe should glow less with the choke on since the choke causes a rich condition.

The glowing pipe is due to thickness of the wall of the header. Its normal for it to glow. Mine does it and as all the others have mentioned theirs do it too. You have nothing to worry about.

·
Registered
78 Posts
My abla pipe glows as well, took me by suprise the first time I noticed it. Parked it at night looked back, and thought I was seein things. Im used to it now, so if it glows at idle or after a hard ride I just ignore it.

Just looked and it has a nice blue color too it right to where the first curviture ends, then its a light brown/gold.

·
Registered
529 Posts
I can't see it glow for shit during the day, but at night, I don't have to use my headlights. :lol:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I thought I was running lean beacuse mine was doing the same thing about 3" from the head. I did a plug check twice and it was fine so I guess it's ok. :wtf: I can't see it glow in the day it just looks like a faint blue but the rest of the pipe is golden but at night you can see it. It freaked my shit out the first time I rode at night and seen it. :scared:

·
Registered
65 Posts
black02raptor said:

hope this helps
That is funny because mine glows and I have 150/155 mains.. and a full yosh kit. So I would say your is jetted much more lean then mine.. and mine glows red. Plus at idle the real jets that is working is ... PILOTS so I would say if the pipes glow at idle then you need a bigger pilot jet not the mains... But I think it is normal.. Thinner material for sure... I am running 25 pilots..

·
Registered
184 Posts
Not trying to be stupid,but when you say glowing what do you mean by that. Like what color does it glow? Is it sopposed to do that?

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
the glow is like a peice of metal thats been heated with a torch.and btw the glows gone now that i took the spark arrester out

·
Registered
1,730 Posts
mine glows also and the plug is perfect in color :wtf: so i would say its normal

·
Registered
91 Posts
well I just put a full Alba pipe on mine and it does the same thing. But, ya know whats great, I went for a ride and remembered my smokes and forgot my lighter. Needless to say, I still had a smoke when we stopped for a break. :lol: :lol: :lol: So in my opinion.... right or wrong........ its an option I didnt have to pay for :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:

·
Registered
191 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Royman660 said:
well I just put a full Alba pipe on mine and it does the same thing. But, ya know whats great, I went for a ride and remembered my smokes and forgot my lighter. Needless to say, I still had a smoke when we stopped for a break. :lol: :lol: :lol: So in my opinion.... right or wrong........ its an option I didnt have to pay for :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod: :nod:
thanks for the idea :tup:

·
Registered
194 Posts
I bumped up my jets again to see what would happen and with 175/180 and 25 pilots my pipe still glows at night. I even called yoshimura today and the guy said it was totally normal. Hey whatever works. :nod:

1 - 20 of 21 Posts