Blue Traxx Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anybody ever think of a way to put screens on the inlet holes of the oil pump itself..? Maybe drilling it out a bit so a hardened oring screen would fit..? I've got several little metal pieces and one very unnaturally large piece stuck in my pump atm after oil change.. With signs of pitting that looks to have been taking place for awhile.. Hoping it was all from the oneway I replaced last year..

Now I'm in the process of trying to figure if I should just try to pressure force oil thru the motor or split the cases to clean it out...

All could have been prevented by a hard screen on the intake ports.. I mean so what if it gets clogged up and oil stops flowing and you don't know about it, no difference than the pump seizing and the same thing happening.. Def goin to put a pressure gauge on it this time.! But I'm thinking about taking new pump to a machine shop to see if we can find a way to get screens in there. If any of you know of anybody who's done this please let me know..

·
Super Moderator
8,585 Posts
I thought there was a screen on the oil pump pickup?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought there was a screen on the oil pump pickup?
There are three means of filtering in the oil system that I've been able to find

a tube screen on the tank outlet

a large screen at the sump pickup

and ofcourse the oil filter itself

The one on the tank outlet (hose coming from bottom of tank) is solid and fairly fine, and unless it has been damaged by someone removing it to clean it nothing bigger than a couple grains of salt can get thru.

And ofcourse nothing of any size at all can get thru a quality undamaged oil filter..

My problem is the scavenger pump side of the oil pump that picks up oil from sump pickup and "should" have to pass thru the large sump screen to a few inches away before being pumped to the head (if I'm understanding oil flow chart correctly...) a very large piece of metal somehow managed to "slip" past the sump screen and into my pump to lock it up. a piece an inch long larger than a tooth on a fork you eat with..

Now as i've said on another forum it may have been several pieces before it may have been hammered together by the pump itself.. ..? But being driven by plastic gears and with no way for the pump to be able to "hit it more than once" (pump had to stop in its tracks the moment the metal entered it) i can't see how it could've mashed several small pieces into this large chunk.. i think it got past the sump screen somehow.. I've never seen one personally so I don't know how, all i know is what i have in my hand that i pulled out of the scavenger pump..

i went by a machine shop yesterday and we're going to drill and countersink the new pump when I get it in, also went by a gasket and rubber shop and had them make me a screen between two gaskets..

but i got the supplies and am going to try to improve on that myself tonight.. I'll post pictures when I'm done in case anybody else has this problem and doesn't want to have it again..:p

also i'm fairly certain that looking at the motor with the oil pump off that the hole towards the rear of the bike (of the larger two scavenger system)
is the inlet to the pump that comes from the sump screen.. if anybody knows for sure please let me know.. the last thing i need to to put a screen on the pump to trap anything that does get in it..:p

1 - 4 of 4 Posts