Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i was putting in my new clutch and the bolt that holds on the clutch spring sheared off and is stuck in the clutch basket. WTF! someone help

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
tersejr said:
Sounds like you will have to drill and tap it out. :tdown:
i dont knowwhat im gunna do. i think on friday im taking it over to my mechanics :tdown: really wish i could do it myself but oh well :s96: :s96: :s96:

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
fawk drillin and tappin it.
buy some bolt extractors.

you take a drill bit that is smaller than the broken off bolt and drill in the middle of the broken bolt. then take the bolt extractor and tap it in the hole made by the drill. tap it in with a hammer. then put a wrench on the bolt extractor and back the bolt out.
ive used those hundreds of times. there worth their weight in gold.

·
Registered
37 Posts
ya deff extract it, don't drill it out, waste of time

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
im gunn ahve my mechanic do it cuz i dont want to fuck anything else up

·
Registered
37 Posts
ya, will take him 10 mins, good luck

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Reckless said:
ya, will take him 10 mins, good luck
yea im thinking about trying to do it my self. i may have to cal up someone who has done this before. any bluetraxx members from saratoga area want to help me? lol

but anyways how do you get the bolts to go in without shearing them? i have them tight but i can still spinn the clutch without the rear wheels moving. like there is not enough pressure for the friction plates to grab. can anyone help me? im so confused. ive never donethis before!!! :(

·
Registered
80 Posts
Make sure he uses quality tools and not the autozone kind .. If he breaks the extractor of in there it will be "OH F*CK" all over again !!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
hillbilly686 said:
Make sure he uses quality tools and not the autozone kind .. If he breaks the extractor of in there it will be "OH F*CK" all over again !!
whats a good brand? i dont want to go oh f*ck again. this thing has fought me the whole way

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Tighten everything to specs. Not just what you feel is right. These specs have a purpose. Trust me I twisted off many a bolt before I figured that one out.

·
Registered
6,520 Posts
hillbilly686 said:
thats a very good point! :tup:

ive never used cheap bolt extractors ( mine are all snap-on) so ive never broken an extractor. if anything the extractor just spins inside the bolt and i have to now use a larger extractor.

if you bust off the extractor in the bolt your basically f*cked. because the extractor is so hard that normal drill bits cant drill through them. you will just dull the drill bit very quickly.

use either sears or snap-on extractors.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Make sure that you line up the arrow on the pressure plate to the dot on the clutch basket finger, if you dont it will not not line up right and wont tighten the friction plates enough!!! Happened to me once and it blew my mind!!! :tup: :tup:

·
Registered
80 Posts
I broke the idle ADJUST SCREW IN MY USED 01 ..torqed too hard with a pair of channel locks.. That was my first "OH F*CK"!!!So I went to Auto zone and bought a set of Great Neck brand extractors..That was ahuge mistake!!!They were supposed to be titanium but but broke off inside!!!!!!
That "OH FUCK" could be heard in 5 states surrounding Kentucky!!!!
That lessen cost me a new set of carbs..BUY "QUALITY TOOLS" ONLY!! :nod:

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
MoRaptor02 said:
Tighten everything to specs. Not just what you feel is right. These specs have a purpose. Trust me I twisted off many a bolt before I figured that one out.
ok does anyone know the specs for the bolts that hold the springs down?

Make sure that you line up the arrow on the pressure plate to the dot on the clutch basket finger, if you dont it will not not line up right and wont tighten the friction plates enough!!! Happened to me once and it blew my mind!!!
There is an arrow?!?!?!?!!!! im so dumb!!! so you say it will tighten down enough if the arrow is pointing at the dot?

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts

Torque is 5.8 Ft Lbs... Just barely snug!!

·
Registered
1,092 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
diggerzmound said:

Torque is 5.8 Ft Lbs... Just barely snug!!
OK THANK YOU VERY MUCH DIGGERZMOUND!!!!!!!!!!!!!! and thanks to everyone else for helping me i acully think i can do this now!!! if i run into more trouble you'll be hearing from me again! :lol:

·
Super Moderator
8,571 Posts
As for getting the old bolt out, you are gonna have to drill it for using an extractor.. So what I would do is First, Center punch the broken off bolt. Just put a slight dimple in the broken off bolt, so that way when you start to drill the drill bit don't wander side to side.. Then i would recommend using a left handed drill bit... Left handed drill bits are designed to be run with the drill in reverse, and many times as you are drilling the bit will bite into the bolt enough to pull it out without an extrator.. but if the bit doesn't do it, then use your extractor....

·
Registered
671 Posts
the other thign you can do with out drilling is weld a washer onto the bolt then wled a nut onto it and it will turn out like butter

1 - 20 of 28 Posts