Blue Traxx Forum banner

No oil to head!?!?!?! FIXED!!

17K views 23 replies 10 participants last post by  cory52000 
#1 ·
I was just wondering if anybody had any ideas. My 87' just has a SupperTrapp and a K&N filter in the airbox, Jetting unknown. Ran well b4 buddy ran it out of oil. Since then I have had crank rebuilt and cyc bored 1 over. After rebuild and warm up it instantly siezed the rocker arms and shafts ( no I didn't use molly grease :s96: ). I ended up getting another head off ebay and now it's all togther still no oil to head.

I have found no info on the direction of oil flow or how the system works -if it takes time for oil to reach head? or if there is supposed to be oil in the magnito/stator side of the engine? I'm use to working on 2-strokes.

The oil filter is in properly
The oil pump works I can use pullstart to crank and pump oil to the oil filter
I did not remove the oil pipe (maybe I should have inspected it?)
no oil comes from the bolt on the head
I'm sick of working on this quad and it has set for almost a yr now so any help is much appreciated.

TIA, Read on and Ride hard!
Scott []v[]

See less See more
#2 ·
Mine ran for about 6 hours before they froze from getting no oil :razz: I used lots of assembly lube though. I also have no oil flow. I'm going to replace my oil pump and see if that helps. Im using dusty trails to buy the parts to put mine back together. I been hunting and they seem the cheapest. This blowing up or siezing stuff really sucks huh? yes it takes time for the oil to reach the head. Use lots of assembly lube, and loosen that screw on the back right side of the head that will squirt oil when its gettin some. Oil comes up around the bolts and then goes up behind the cam and through the cam I think. Thats just what I think from looking at it, never found any real info on it. ALWAYS use assembly lube. I bought a spare head with rockers and shafts on ebay, then I found out I have to use new rockers with my new cam, and I have to use new shafts with my new rockers. You might want to check your cam and your followers for wear. Mine were wore slap out, cam looked like it was 100 years old. But then again mine ran for like 6 hours.

#3 ·
It doesnt take long for the oil to get up there upon start up. The first thing I did when I rebuilt my motor was it over to make sure oil was getting to the head, it only took a few cranks. You might have an oil passage plugged up somewhere. I would check the ones in the cylinder and head first then work my way down. Probably the last thing you want to do but replacing gaskets is cheaper than frying the head again.

#4 ·
After I changed my oil last time, it was flowing from the bolt in about 1 second or so from the time i pushed the start button. I am not real smart on this, but the oil has to go through the filter, then the tube/pipe. Can you use compressed air to see if that tube/pipe is clogged or something? Just a thought, havent had mine apart to know for sure, please post your results if you ever find the problem/fix.

#5 ·
Thx for the info and Idea's guy's hopefully I will have time this weeked (if I dont go riding the shee's) to work on it and try some of your idea's. I think the 1st thing I will do is remove and reinstall the cam and rocker arms with mass lube and try blowing some air thru the passage ways, I dont have a compressor so I'll have to jimmy-rig something w/a bicycle pump. At the least I will try starting it shortly w/the oil filter removed to be absolutely sure it is nothing there. I'll also ck out this tube thing at the oil drain plug(different post)?? I'll definately post my findings!

Read on and Ride Hard!
Scott []v[]

#6 ·
Update: air blows thru all passageways no probblem there, next I'll drain the oil ck for tube thing at oil drain and moly lube up the cam.... any more Ideas??

#8 ·
I removed the oil filter + head today and oil is getting to the cyc out of the crank case at the back Right side bolt where it's supposed to go up through the head then to the back of the cam, thru the cam and spray onto rockers and arms then I guess down the timing chain. I'm going to reinstall the oil filter, crank it over and start working my way up; cranking over and watching for oil - 3rd time is the charm for assembly I hope :nod: at this point it shure seems like nothing was wrong....anybody know what regular head temp is after warm up?

#9 ·
Update: Well it wasnt that simple - Oil does not pump up the cylender - so my oil pump must be too weak. Anybody else had a oil pump go out slowly? I've always read when they go they are gone - mine still pumps oil to the filter and out of the case just not to the topend wtf....???

#10 ·
:tup: I fixed it! I found the probblem! Nobody mentioned it so nobody can raz me! 1yr ago it was totally rebuilt- crank + all: the rocker arms and shafts siezed up after like 20 min rideing - got a new used head from ebay - installed that right after it happened, still no oil to head. I was frustrated and let is sit for a whole year! yesterday I removed head+cyc, looked at oil filter, then even the oil pump - I did all this w/o draining the oil. Guess what the fix was???? I'll give you 1 hint: I fixed it w/removing + reinstalling 1 bolt.

:s96: :wtf: :)

#12 ·
I think the oil comes up around the stud. Is the stud tapered?? Or one of the alignment dowels in the wrong place.

#13 ·
everything was in exactically right; dowls, seals, gaskets, filter, etc. I used the service manual and had spilt many quad cases b4, I have been riding quads since 1985. This really stumped me! and it was so simple. I thoiught the oil pump failed but, last hint: there was a clog at a obvious point in the system.

:razz:

#14 ·
:bk: I can't figure it out!

Just looked up and down the side of my warrior engine can't figure it out. I haven't had it apart yet so I 'm not real sure where the oil galleries are running.......

It wasn't anything to do with the timing chain tensioner was it ? My best guess.

I dunno. :shrug:

#15 ·
The MotherF()*&)(*ing, GodD$^%#@n Son-of-a-B*^&h OIL SCREEN!!
it was clogged and I never dumped the brand new oil to check!
The only thing I can figure is I didn't prime the cam and rockers w/oil or moly grease so they started to grind down on my original head. So all the filings got caught in the oil screen and clogged it. So no-one can laugh or raz me :hey: - I had to figure it out by my-self the long, hard and expensive way. The good news is I can warn all of you to check that screen after rebuild and make sure oil is pumping up and out of that screw in the head!
Maybe now I will start changing my oil after every ride.

#17 ·
The oil screen falls out when you pull the drain plug - do most of you guys get rid of it? BTW now that's it's fixed its F/S for only $1650!

#24 ·
i would have to look, its been a long time since i was in a warrior but i dont think it travels through the cam. my guess is a lot of the oil comes up the timing chainl. did you get the guides back in correctly. my guess is oil comes through the cam journal to oil the cam and through or above the rockers for them. check the filters and then re check you work. is it possible to put the cam caps on backward

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.