Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all, new here. I am currently learning mechanics and have done my second engine project on my 2001 raptor 660 that was showing signs of age(shot bearings scored cylinder). First project was a jet ski. All the mods I've done to it are in my signature. First off I'd like to say I am in a very sad mood right now so I beg for no rude comments please. Not that I think any of you are, I am new after all. I know I probably shouldn't have taken this project alone and without proper training. I am completely self taught. I follow everything by the service manual but even then seems I can't get this stuff right.

So my issue that I would really appreciate some input on: My raptor has 20minutes on it since rebuild and it ran amazing no issues what so ever. However, noticed oil was not returning to tank and flooding crank case. Turns out a bearing was missing a seal on the non output transmission shaft. Replaced it over the week, when I put the timing chain tensioner in, I didn't hear it adjust this time like chain was very tight, but didn't check 馃ゴ. First time starting it up and ran like a beast just like before. This time during carb inspection, I must have bent the floats a little because gas came out of overflow. I readjusted and forgot to turn on gas. Started it up again and ran for about 30 seconds when I heard a vacuum like sound (hard to explain but sorta like when you take a piece of paper over a shop vac hose) and it shut off. Thought maybe a simple issue so I tightened the air hoses on carbs a bit more. To avoid damage to engine, I unplugged the spark plug coil so I could run starter without engine firing up. Upon running the starter I heard a sound like when a rusty bearing is rotating(all new bearings), that went away quick but it only revealed a top end clunk (maybe in clutch case but not likely).This sound may have come during the compression stroke because I hear exhaust thump afterwards. Engine still cranks freely no sounds of starter struggling other than what's typical in the cold climate. During all this time I had gallery bolt out to check for oil pressure but didn't see much if at all. Only ran it for less than a minute with assembly lube used everywhere so I can't imagine lubrication failure. Lastly, it seems there is compression because there is still good air volume coming from exhaust.

So yeah, I'm at a stand still because I don't want to cause any more damage. Really nervous especially because my first rebuild on my two stroke jet ski only lasted 10 hours after fuel system pressure randomly depleted and she melted. It ran great before and then all of the sudden ran poorly, just like my raptor it seems like. Put so much time and love into this build and then this, just depressing.

Really owe my thanks to anyone who can help me pinpoint the issue without another total teardown.

Before I go heres my prediction of issue. Possible head gasket leak? The sucking sound was very weird and I have never heard that before. But can bad head gasket cause clank/thump sound? I just really don't want it to be a piston or cylinder. Pleaseeee 馃馃馃馃

Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Circling back, maybe it is piston slap. Seems like a more reasonable assumption considering it is cold. But IDK maybe just me trying to ease myself hoping I don't find another melted engine. The rough bearing sound seemed to be completely separate area.

Registered
2001 Raptor 660r
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
As of this morning sound is gone. Maybe I was drunk idk what happened. Idle seemed a bit high so piston could have heated up at a faster rate than cylinder. This time I got the oil system primed solely off of the starter, typically it will prime while running the first minute but little slow this time. Oil flow is great now. About to start it up, hoping for the best. Little warmer out today that last night.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts