Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Greetings,

I just finished checking the valves and replaced the shims. I bought it used and the previous owner had never checked them. Only one intake valve was in spec, the other four were out. Both exhaust were under by .10mm. It was running a bit rough.

While I had it tore down I did the Exhaust Cam mod and the Zip Tie mod.
New spark plug, cleaned and re-oiled the air filter and adjusted the e-brake.

One question on the Exhaust Cam mod: when I check my valve gap the NEXT time, can I check them at TDC as normal or do I have to return the exhaust cam back to it's original location to check my spacing? Logic tells me I will need to return it to the stock orientation??

I fired it up and it was wanting to stall (I think now that I just needed to keep the choke on for a bit longer). So I found what appeared to be the idle knob and turned it to the right. It didn't respond like my Raptor, so now after some reading out here I think I screwed with the "Throttle Stop Screw". It was a small flat wheel on the left side of the bike and a couple inches to the right of the choke pull knob. My first test ride showed a lot of power improvements. I did return the knob close to where it was at, what is the proper way to adjust this?I had a few backfires, I was able to settle that down a bit by turning the adjustment wheel back to the left.

The owners manual just shows an arrow to the general location of in, nothing close enough to know for sure.

Is it necessary to do any jetting changes after the Cam Mod?

I've done tons of things to my Raptor, still learning this beast though.

Any advice will be appreaciated.

Thanks

GregV (1st. Post)

·
Premium Member
2,583 Posts
its usuallyl a good idea to re-jet a stock quad, if the past owner had an exhaust put on it, then its a good chance they already jetted it for that exhaust, if the bike runs strong and doesnt bog when you stab the throttle, it sounds like you have it all worked out pretty well.

when you check your valves next time, you dont need to put your cams back to stock position, when the pistons at top dead center, the cam lobes should be facing upwards and away from each other, so they wont be anywhere near the cam buckets/shims

·
Registered
9 Posts
Throttle Stop Screw

Im working on tuning my 05 yfz 450 right now and I fortunately have the original manual with it. What I know is that the "throttle stop srew" must be adjusted hand-in-hand with the "throttle position sensor", and also AFTER the desired idle is set. Now what I have learned is that its kind of a "guess and check" between the TSS and the TPS because the TPS must read .58 to .78 volts (remember, that spec reading could be different on your different year of quad). However, this is where the TSS and TPS come hand-in-hand. As you adjust the idle, it also tweeks the voltage on ur TPS (Raising the idle = raises the TPS voltage, Lowering the idle = lowers the TPS voltage), so you must at least check (and possibly adjust) the TPS after adjusting the TSS every time an adjustment is made. I started out by turning the TSS clockwise all the way (which is the highest idle position) to give myself a baseline to work from. Then I adjusted down from there.

Hope this helps.

PS- To read the voltage ur gunna have to expose the three wires of the TPS. (Black, Yellow, and Blue) Just make sure the Blue wire reads 5 volts first, otherwise you're not getting power to the TPS.
Black- ground
Blue- should read 5V
Yellow- should read between .58~.78V

If anythings confusing feel free to hit me up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi Guys,

Thank you for the input. It does still have stock exhaust pipe.

I looked on eBay to buy a service manual disk but no one has one for a 2008 yzf450.
Can one of you hook me up with a picture identifying TPS wires and other mentioned knobs? My email address should be available on my profile.

Thank you in advance.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It's still wanting to stall on me.
I'm considering putting the exhaust cam back to it's stock location.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Could it be my pilot jet needs to be larger ?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
I made the adjustments and it really helped.

Thanks for the input!! I have since added an aftermarket pipe...........started over again with the tuning. ha ha

All is good though, it really rips now.

I will most likely go the next step bigger on my pilot jet to help eliminate an extreamly red head pipe.

Thank you for your help.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts