Blue Traxx Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, Just bought a 87 warrior for 400$ in somewhat good condition doesn't smoke runs nice and everything. My problem... When i shift into a gear it will go in nicely but coming out, if im not moving is like no other, it really wont i always turn it off and have to fiddle with it. But the linkage is very worn so i think that is my problem cause all gears feel smooth. And can some one help me with this gear setup. 1 down 5 up? or something im guessing one down is low. and i basically have to get frustrated to find neutral and ive been looking around people say its the linkage being over complicated... Wellllll please help someone. Thank you:roll:

·
Registered
50 Posts
I'm not entirely sure what your talking about, it would help to be a little more specific, but the shift pattern is
6(All the way up)
N
1(This is all the way down)
The linkage is sloppy, that could be your problem. You could buy another linkage setup or buy a direct shifter and eliminate the linkage all together. Finding neutral is easier with a direct shifter but the direct shifter is a lot further from the peg which could be trouble if you have small feet.

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well thats no problem i have huge feet lol but people are saying im going have to bend a the direct shifter because mine has the pull start in the way. But im not sure what direct shifter i should get people are saying one off of a YZ250 should work.and would you recommend staring in 1st or im sure it has power to start in 2nd. Thanks

·
Registered
50 Posts
It depends on the surface, normally you want to start in 1st for more torque but if our driving on the street 2nd is fine. I have a direct shifter off of a YZ 250 on my Raptor 350 (same quad, the raptor is the new version of the warrior). I'm not sure how much clearance you have with the pull start. Here's a picture of it on mine:

·
Registered
25 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well that does look good, but did you bend it or anything? i heard u might have to. Im definitely going with the straight shifter option, im so tired of this slack it will not get into gear with out right force or leverage .

·
Registered
165 Posts
Your problem is most likely clutch related, not the shifter. If it shifts when the engine isn't running better than when it is running the clutch isn't disengauging completely. If your clutch is adjusted correctly I would suspect that the basket is notched out.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I thought that too, but he said he gets into gear fine, and if the bike isn't staling or rolling i'm assuming his clutch is adjusted properly. He said his linkage is worn, so he'll need a new shifter anyway and it's best to try the $11 solution rather than getting into the clutch.

·
Registered
265 Posts
Your problem is most likely clutch related, not the shifter. If it shifts when the engine isn't running better than when it is running the clutch isn't disengauging completely. If your clutch is adjusted correctly I would suspect that the basket is notched out.
Im with him, def since its an 87. More than likely its got alot of hours on it and the basket will be worn. Mine was when i change the clutch in it and mines a 96.

·
Registered
586 Posts
Yep the clutch basket probably is grooved. You need a banshee shifter and bend it around the pull start. Yz250 and yz426 will be too short for you

1 - 14 of 14 Posts